Canned Cake Recipes ???

You can 'can' any kind of cake. I've never tried it with icing though. I only keep mine no longer than 6 months, not that they actually last that long! Canning bread or cakes is the same as canning anything, yes it can make you sick, IF IT ISN'T DONE PROPERLY!!! As long as you follow the directions and heat the required temps, then you should be okay. Making sure that your jars are clean sealed is important.

Michelle

DMK Ranch

open kettle canning doesn't evacuate the air and/or kill spores in the same manner that water or pressure processing does. Yes, you can get a seal because it will create a vacuum but a vacuum does not mean no air/spores. Just like we no longer use the inversion method for jams and jellies. If simply slapping a hot lid and ring onto a hot jar full of hot stuff meant we could get a safe seal, we'd do that will just about everything and save a lot of effort and energy.

Personally, I'm not up to taking risks when neurotoxins are involved. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_can_breads.pdf

That
link covers things rather well. Especially when freezing is such a wonderful method of preserving cake for later, I don't understand why one would take such a risk as to "can" cakes/breads.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was actually considering canning my pumpkin this year since a bumper berry crop has left me little freezer space. Why is this considered unsafe?

I am always so paranoid about canning things so when I make jams, the only things in jars, they all go in the fridge and kept no longer than about 3 months. Feels like a lot of work too when i could just put in the freezer. :p However, in power outage situations, I can see why it is a good thing to do as all your frozen stuff would have gone bad.

Quote:
Sorry Ether, I see we sent the same link! Great minds search alike......................
thumbsup.gif

This is good to know about the pumpkin. I have several pie pumpkins in the garden that were going to be made into pie puree and canned. We are moving a ways away in the spring and I didn't want to risk transporting frozen pumpkin. I will can it cubed instead.

Quote:
But pumpkin inners are kind of 'mushy'..... so do you mean you scoop out the mushy soft inners (where the seeds are) & discard & then use the firm flesh & cube that for canning? What is your recipe for spices to cubed pumpkin? When you use it do you mush & puree the cubes after you open the can then for the pie & use it like a Libby's mix adding eggs, etc? Thanks for posting pumpkin info for us 'newby' canners
smile.png

When canning pumpkin (I do the same for butternut incidentally) you want to remove the seeds and strings from the inside of the pumpkin, as well as the peel. I find it's easiest to peel the pumpkin AFTER I cube it, as the pieces lend themselves to even paring knife peeling much better than a whole pumpkin half does.

Once I've cut your pumpkin into 1 inch cubes and it's all peeled and ready, I boil the cubes in water for about 2 minutes. If I'm making spiced pumpkin I'll make a bouquet garni with cloves, allspice, and cinnamon and drop that into the water before I add the pumpkin cubes, so that it can steep a bit.

I hot-pack the cubes and then add the cooking liquid. My processing time I get from here: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/pumpkin_winter_squash.html

When
I am going to make something with it, I just drain the jar and mash the cubes of pumpkin and then away I go!

Back
Top Bottom