Canned Cake Recipes ???

werblessd1s

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
NORTH FLORIDA
I just heard about canned cake. I would love to have some recipes. Thanks
big_smile.png

personally I find these rather pointless. Why not just make a loaf cake? "canned" cakes aren't actually preserved in a way that makes them safe from botulism, so it's basically just like baking a cake in a flower pot- all gimmick.

Quote:
I read on a Sufficient Self thread that someone on BYC makes a canned Apple Cake and it's good atleast a year. So I was hoping to get the recipe.

Basically, there is no approved way of making these which is considered safe.

Now, that doesn't mean people don't do it, and that doesn't mean that if you do it you will die from foodborne illnesses. It does mean you're gambling at that though.

Just as we no longer use open kettle methods of canning, because we know they are unsafe, and we do not home-can pumpkin puree.

You are welcome do try this, you should just be aware that there is no approved safe method of doing this, and you are running the risk.

Baking them individually in the pint size jars is a neat way to bake them a week ahead of time to throw in lunches. You don't have to worry about wrapping them and having sticky icing everywhere.

I think it is a neat idea. Backwoods home magazine had an article about it. I'll see if I can find it...Gloria I can't find it. Maybe it was Countryside...G

Last edited:
Quote:
I've heard of a real canning recipe of canned "Carrot Cake Jam" is that what you may have mistaken for 'canned cake'? Or when people take a cake mix & layer the dry ingredients or mix the dry ingredients all together & put them into a canning jar & attach a card to the jar with the instructions for what 'wet' ingredients to add to the "canned cake" mix & instructions on what pan to bake it in or for how long. These I've heard about, but just plain taking a baked cake & canning that doesn't sound wise... baked with eggs, & other perishable ingredients, etc.

Seems to me that a safer/better idea would be to make your own cake mixes: sift together all the dry ingredients on put into a quart jar or baggie. Print out the recipe & directions on a label for the outside.

Voila - instant cake mix.

If the purpose is to have cake available instantly for copmany or special occasions, this is the next best thing. Plus, it'll make your house smell soooo good!

Back
Top Bottom