Cannibal Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteader2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Homesteader2

Homesteader2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2015
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I have a year old Muscovy duck who eats her own eggs and the eggs of the other ducks and when she can, gets into the chicken coop and eats chicken eggs. I'm seriously thinking this duck must go because I wold hate for her to teach this filthy habit to the others.

She free ranges, gets duck crumble, and corn chopps to little heart's content.

This duck has also stopped preening. She still washes in the duck pool and the pond but most of the time she's dirty. She's the only one that behaves like this.

She was pushed off her nest a few weeks ago and another Momma duck hatched her nest and is raising those ducklings. Maybe that sent her into a tail spin. I don't know but the egg eating has me disturbed and disgusted.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Has she just started the egg eating since she lost her nest? maybe her hormones and electrolytes are all out of whack. Might give her some extra protein and some vitamins in her water for a couple weeks. My Muscovy's love meat I usually give them cooked chicken and also dried meal worms.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Sounds like she needs protein in her diet...Feed them all a few handfuls of dry cat food every other day in their regular feed.
    Cat food works wonders with Ducks and hens.

4. Homesteader2

Homesteader2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2015
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I'll take your advice and give her some cat food. And add vitamins to their water a couple times a week.

All the ducks, except the new babies, free range during the day and then come back to the duck house and enclosure for the night. They have a big pond and eight acres to eat bugs, snakes, and even frogs. I've not seen them catch any fish but the pond has sunfish and catfish. The catfish are huge enough to eat baby ducklings so I try to keep all the babies in the duck pen until they're old enough and big enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by