Cannibalization in mixed age flock

Jdmatt15

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2020
Hello!
I have a mixed age flock, 9 adult birds and 25 10 week old birds in a good sized run/coop. I had to combine them due to space constraints. They had been getting along fine for a few weeks, but all of the sudden the little birds (3 of them) had the back of their head basically scalped!! I’m guessing it is a mean hen that is the culprit, and have her isolated now. Anything you guys can think of to avoid this? Don’t want anymore scalped chickens!

How big is your coop? (Ft by ft)

I’m not exactly sure what “good sized” means. And how big is the run? Pictures of your setup? Often size is the main culprit of problems.
So sorry you’ve been having issues!

The space you have is possibly enough for an integrated flock, but integration favors having extra space. Photos of your set up, especially the run? Any clutter/hiding spots in there?

How many feeders/waterers do you have available?

I’ll take some pics when I get time, I have one large feeder (it was a hog feeder) and two waterers.

Looking forward to the photos.

In the meantime, you should consider adding a few more feeders. They don't need to be large (I use everything from ramekins to cat bowls) but by spreading them around, it helps prevent older/dominant birds from resource guarding.

8BF98EE7-2D82-41F2-8A6F-4BD4C449DFE7.jpeg
98760879-463B-4C02-83F6-C64C3E8914A6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom