Cannibolism

Ten birds in 25 sq. ft. is way too tight! Reevaluate your feeding program also, and either greatly enlarge your coop, or get rid of your aggressive birds. I have about five sq. ft. per bird in my coop, and that includes many bantams. Mary

I'm surprised you've not had issues sooner. Minimum space is generally considered 4 square foot per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. These rules are not hard and fast, but your birds are absolutely telling you they're too crowded and need more space. You might be thinking that's not the issue cause they've been fine for 2 years, but IMO that was pure luck. Agree with Mary you need to either enlarge your space or cut your flock by about half.
Ditto Dos^^^

Once they start, it is nearly impossible to stop. Your set up will fit between 6 to 7 full sized birds much better. Because you have this problem started, it might be better to reduce to 5 birds. I would imagine that there is a lot of tension in your flock.

This happened to me once, I got bit by chicken math, and more is better, but a predator got in, and took out 3 birds, at first I was mad, and fixed the run to prevent it again. However within days, I realized how much more peaceful my flock was with the less number of birds. A peaceful flock that fits into your set up is a much healthier flock.

What do you have in the run? Is it just a big open space, and all the birds must stand on the ground? Adding some pallets, some up on blocks high enough that birds can get under, and stable enough that birds can get on top, lean another pallet against a pos, but leave both ends opened so as not to trap birds, thist will allow birds to get away from each other and out of sight of each other.

While making the run look rathered cluttered adding these can add square feet to your run, as in you have the area under the pallet + the area above the pallet. Put some roost up in the run in the corner. These give the birds more space, some exercise, some interest and some retreat.

However, I agree with the others, cut the flock in half, and add stuff to your run. First I would get rid of the two being picked on, and the worst one for the pecking, and then see.

While it can be diet, most problems are caused by over crowding, in commercial places, this is why they are debeaked.

Mrs K

Last edited:
We actually have a 25st coop with a 75 sf run that they have access to 24/7.
So a total of 100 sf.
I lean towards boredom and an agressive hen.

No matter how you cut it, 25 square feet in the coop, and 75 square feet in the run is too small for your flock. You're having problems with aggression. A number of folks who are experienced with poultry have weighed in. I urge you to follow their excellent advice. Start by getting rid of the aggressive hen, that will be a start, but that won't finish the problem. b/c once you remove her, the other 9 will be fighting for top spot. I wouldn't want more than 6 birds in that set up.

Thank you all for your advice. We are getting ready to fence in an area for them to range in that will be around 20 x 25 ft, so minus the footprint of the run would give 425 ft of range.
But we won't let them out in it unless we're home because of predators. We have chicken hawks and fox.

Well, we gave 3 of our Buffs to our daughter.
She's starting a farm and will take good care of them. Will watch our 4th Buff carefully and try to see which hen is so aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom