Canning and Home preserving

Pics
So like I promised, I made it my mission to clean out my pantry. To my surprise the stuff was much older then I thought, but even more then that was the fact that I only had three fails and everything still smelt as fresh as when it was first canned. I was actually tempted to taste some, but fear got the best of me.

Here is my embarrassment, with details on how many, what year and fails. For those just starting out, this is how not to do it. All I can say is I learned a lot from all of this, so there's that. But it was expensive. So learn with what you and your family will eat. Don't do it just cause you can. My daughter asked why I canned all that stuff and I told her because I can, she asked me to teach her and I said "sure, but we are not going to can can stuff." She asked what that meant. I said "we will not can just because we can." So no more can canning.

All 61 jars
IMG_20191230_141604335.jpg

fail
IMG_20191230_141616952.jpg

Fail 2
IMG_20191230_141625859.jpg

The other one was apple butter, just lost its seal.

So now the list....

Bacon-10 qts - 2013 - 0 fails
Beef 12 pts - 2013 - 0 fails
Corned beef 4 pts - 2011 - 0 fails
Pickled Jalapeno peppers 5 pts - 2012 - 0 fails
Pickled beets 6 pts - 2012 - 1 fail
Apple butter 4 - 1/2 pts - ? - 1 fail
Chicken and veggies 3 qts - 2012 - 0 fails
Cannied Jalapenos 6- 1/2 pts - ? - 0 fails
Pepper jelly 11- 1/2 pts - ? - 1 fail

So there we have it. Glad I finally got this done, I also tossed a bunch of boxed meals and meal kits I figured would have turned rancid by now.

So like I promised, I made it my mission to clean out my pantry. To my surprise the stuff was much older then I thought, but even more then that was the fact that I only had three fails and everything still smelt as fresh as when it was first canned. I was actually tempted to taste some, but fear got the best of me.

Here is my embarrassment, with details on how many, what year and fails. For those just starting out, this is how not to do it. All I can say is I learned a lot from all of this, so there's that. But it was expensive. So learn with what you and your family will eat. Don't do it just cause you can. My daughter asked why I canned all that stuff and I told her because I can, she asked me to teach her and I said "sure, but we are not going to can can stuff." She asked what that meant. I said "we will not can just because we can." So no more can canning.

All 61 jars
View attachment 1990811

fail
View attachment 1990812
Fail 2
View attachment 1990813

So now the list....

So there we have it. Glad I finally got this done, I also tossed a bunch of boxed meals and meal kits I figured would have turned rancid by now.
:hit Such tasty stuff!

All 61 jars
View attachment 1990811

fail
View attachment 1990812
Fail 2
View attachment 1990813

So now the list....

Not bad out of all that only three fails.... Failure is only an opportunity to learn. Awesome Personally Id keep anything that was two years old as long as it had a good seal and it was something you wanted to eat.

The new lids are good for a year and a half... So Id double those to three years... again if its something that had a good seal and something I would want to eat.

But then I will eat foods way past its best used by date... from the grocery store. Stored well kept in a cool pantry they will survive well past their best used by date. As long as the can isn't bulging or expels gas when you use the can opener to open it. Those cans should be thrown out... But I would taste the others. and decide if they are good enough...

deb

I got a pressure canner for christmas!:celebratemy SO bought me a Presto to unwrap but he said it wasn't what he wanted to get me it was just what the store had. We returned it to the store today because when he showed me what he wanted to get me I was sold on it. Its called the "all american pressure canner". NO GASKETS:thI'm super excited about it. We had to order it online so it should be here soon. We got the 15 quart option only because I dont see me doing anything more than that as of yet. Even then with how long it takes me to prep jars and how long it will take me to can them I doubt I need anything bigger.:rolleyes:

I got a pressure canner for christmas!:celebratemy SO bought me a Presto to unwrap but he said it wasn't what he wanted to get me it was just what the store had. We returned it to the store today because when he showed me what he wanted to get me I was sold on it. Its called the "all american pressure canner". NO GASKETS:thI'm super excited about it. We had to order it online so it should be here soon. We got the 15 quart option only because I dont see me doing anything more than that as of yet. Even then with how long it takes me to prep jars and how long it will take me to can them I doubt I need anything bigger.:rolleyes:
:clap:woot

happy dance :wee :bun :bun :wee

Nice!

Not bad out of all that only three fails.... Failure is only an opportunity to learn. Awesome Personally Id keep anything that was two years old as long as it had a good seal and it was something you wanted to eat.

The new lids are good for a year and a half... So Id double those to three years... again if its something that had a good seal and something I would want to eat.

But then I will eat foods way past its best used by date... from the grocery store. Stored well kept in a cool pantry they will survive well past their best used by date. As long as the can isn't bulging or expels gas when you use the can opener to open it. Those cans should be thrown out... But I would taste the others. and decide if they are good enough...

deb
Expiration dates don't mean a whole lot to me either. But even in a cool pantry things can go rancid after to many years. The stuff I canned and the pre boxed foods were between 5 and 9 years old. So I just wasn't willing to trust that. On the plus note though I have a clean slate to start canning things we will eat. :ya

Back
Top Bottom