Canning and Home preserving

Pics
Ok had some energy today and got started making pickled eggs... I am going to water bath them. At least they will make the move up to the house. I have only made refrigerator pickles so am doing research on brine recipes.

found out six eggs tuck very nicely into a half pint jar.... Got some fresh garlic I am going to peel tomorrow and Tumeric... But I also want to do beet juice added. I would love to do some jalapenos but my gut isnt ready for spice... Lets see Pickling spice and grated ginger...

For what its worth I keep my ginger frozen.... it will last for ever. I grate it without defrosting. or peeling....

Hope everyone is doing well in the cold....

deb

Ok had some energy today and got started making pickled eggs... I am going to water bath them. At least they will make the move up to the house. I have only made refrigerator pickles so am doing research on brine recipes.

found out six eggs tuck very nicely into a half pint jar.... Got some fresh garlic I am going to peel tomorrow and Tumeric... But I also want to do beet juice added. I would love to do some jalapenos but my gut isnt ready for spice... Lets see Pickling spice and grated ginger...

For what its worth I keep my ginger frozen.... it will last for ever. I grate it without defrosting. or peeling....

deb

Fresh garlic for that? Won't that cause Botulism? @mixedUPturk just canned a bunch of pickled quail egg's, and she said in another thread that it was best to use those pickled garlic that was in the store. Maybe she will pop in here and say something about that.

deb
I love pickled eggs; have some in my fridge right now. Go for it.

Fresh garlic for that? Won't that cause Botulism? @mixedUPturk just canned a bunck of pickled quail egg's, and she said that it was best to use those pickled garlic that was in the store. Maybe she will pop in here and say something about that.

Ms Deb and I already had a discussion about this. She prefers to live a bit on the wild side 😜

Ms Deb and I already had a discussion about this. She prefers to live a bit on the wild side 😜
Perhaps to be on the safe side I will Boil them with the vinegar and spices. I intended on using the Dried garlic but its packed. I put fresh garlic in my refrigerator pickles...

To be honest the FDA doesnt recommend waterbath canning eggs. I have only six jars so I am going to waterbath can them then keep them in the refrigerator

I am going to look up pickling garlic I just got my latest book from the Georgia University Extension. Called "So Easy To Preserve"

Ok there was mention of an issue with Garlic turning green or bluish green in the pickling spice. They said it was most likely do to high iron content in the Garlic and that they were safe to eat. They also mentioned that immature garlic needs to cure for two to four weeks at 70 degrees before using them.

The recipes that had garlic in them mentioned to put one garlic clove in the bottom of the jar. as in Asparagus...

deb

The recipes that had garlic in them mentioned to put one garlic clove in the bottom of the jar. as in Asparagus...
This is what I do using store bought raw, peeled garlic cloves when making my pickles that have garlic in them. After the sterilized jars are filled, I pour the boiling pickling brine into the jars and seal them.

Well didn't follow much of @mixedUPturk 's recipe... Well I mostly didn't follow it.... at all...

I loosely followed a recipe from
Homesteading Family

I added in more turmeric and a whole head of garlic and a heaping spoon full of pickling spices. Oh and I also added in Green olives with pimento in them.

Not an apple cider vinegar Fan
So I used:
4 C white vinegar
1 C Water
1 Tb turmeric
1 Tb heaping Kosher salt
1 Tb heaping pickling spices
1 head of Garlic thereabouts after I got done mangling it.... Enough for four for each of six jars.

I even had some Pickling solution left over.... so I did a wild and crazy thing.... Poured about a cup of Olives in a half pint jar. Added in the rest of my Sweet Peppers and their juice... Different jar of peppers I forgot I had..... :oops: Then split the other head of garlic in half and shoved it in the jar.... Roots peel and all. Then i topped it off with the rest of the turmeric solution... Which came out with a perfect 1/4 inch of head space.... Like I planned it all.

I haven't got it in the canner because I need my sons help... Still wobbly. I used my energy filling up the ham hock pot... Did I just say Ham Hock Pot.... yepper.

deb

Back
Top Bottom