Canning and Home preserving

I love the pink boxes of Sure-Jell, the lower sugar pectin. It's great, either making freezer jam or the water bath type. Marmalade!!! Use a combination of lemons, oranges, and either tangerines or the little 'Cuties'; every batch a bit different, all wonderful!
Also blueberry, blueberry-plum, or blueberry-peach, all with nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon added. Fantastic!
I just made the blueberry-peach, and there was a lot of swearing, because the peaches were clingstone, not freestone. Not so fun!
Mary

Honestly I wouldn't want his help. He's not very proficient with a knife and refuses to accept my teaching. He also gets in the way (our kitchen is very small) and if he sees a mess he has to clean it up immediately in the most long and drawn out way. I have banned him from the kitchen when I'm cooking and just do my canning while he's at work. Don't get me wrong, I love him more than anything; he's just as stubborn as I am though. Its easier to not work around him. We work better on other projects together but cooking is not one of them
We all have to do what’s best for our own situations. I don’t help DH with any kind of building projects unless he’s giving me clear direction. I am mechanically impaired, and am definitely more of a hinderance than a help and I know it.

Last edited:
We all have to do what’s best for our own situations. I don’t help DH with any kind of building projects unless he’s giving me clear direction. I am mechanically impaired, and am definitely more of a hinderance than a help and I know it.
We actually get along great with those. I'm not mechanically minded either but I love to learn. The only problem is sanding. For some reason the sound and feel of it makes me want to throw up.

I love the pink boxes of Sure-Jell, the lower sugar pectin. It's great, either making freezer jam or the water bath type. Marmalade!!! Use a combination of lemons, oranges, and either tangerines or the little 'Cuties'; every batch a bit different, all wonderful!
Also blueberry, blueberry-plum, or blueberry-peach, all with nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon added. Fantastic!
I just made the blueberry-peach, and there was a lot of swearing, because the peaches were clingstone, not freestone. Not so fun!
Mary
I usually just buy straight pectin and add my own sugar. I dont like not being able to control the sugar content. I use Alton Brown's recipe for blueberry jam. It's delicious!

I usually just buy straight pectin and add my own sugar. I dont like not being able to control the sugar content. I use Alton Brown's recipe for blueberry jam. It's delicious!
I use the pink boxes but stick with the yellow box recipes for sugar amounts. I have not had a failure to set using the pink boxes but have had a failure to set using the yellow boxes.

Had a bunch of ripe tomatoes and thought I'd make some salsa to can for the winter. My neighbor let me borrow her Victorio food mill. Gave me arms like popeye until I started cutting the tomatoes smaller but I LOVE that thing. Got 2 quarts of puree and a quart of pulp from 12 tomatoes. Had to shove it all in the fridge though because I forgot to get cilantro :th gonna try and at least get some sauce canned today until I can get to the store.

Back
Top Bottom