Canning and Home preserving

It was a recipe from the internet. Most recipes for green beans were like that and for beets grandpa advised me to use the same brine... Previous brine contained vinegar. So turns out food can ferment after pasteurizaiton?
We used to can all our vegetables hot water bath BUT added 1 tablespoon lemon juice to each quart of water. Vegetables tasted much better then with a pressure cooker because they weren't overcooked. Most fruits had adequate acid without adding lemon juice. About 20 years ago it no longer worked. The jars would seal but about a week later, the lids all exploded. We came to the conclusion that something contaminated our water stream. We could only can with pressure cooker anymore. Some bacteria is not destroyed at the boiling point. It doesn't necessarily have to be botulism. Because our water is more contaminated then in our grandparents age, I would only recommend pressure canning the vegetables anymore-except like picked beets or pickles. I wouldn't eat then if they taste sour, it may not be a bacteria that will kill you, but it's not worth the risk.

Individual water sources might be better, or worse, than years ago. Vegetable and fruit varieties are definitely different, and that's one reason that all modern recipes for canned tomatoes include adding lemon juice or vinegar, to be safe.
Also, in those 'good old days', when people got sick or died of 'stomach flu', testing to find the source and type of infection wasn't done so often.
Mary

Another question : as i noticed today these recipes told me to pesteurize it twice (cooking for 40 minutes one day, and doing the same next day). I only cooked it once and for 15 minutes. On the internet i saw videos with pasteurized meat. It's cooked twice or even three times too. Wouldn't beans ferment it i'd cooked them twice for 40 minutes? One even say that with adding a spoon of vinegar you can pasteurize it once.

Another question : as i noticed today these recipes told me to pesteurize it twice (cooking for 40 minutes one day, and doing the same next day). I only cooked it once and for 15 minutes. On the internet i saw videos with pasteurized meat. It's cooked twice or even three times too. Wouldn't beans ferment it i'd cooked them twice for 40 minutes? One even say that with adding a spoon of vinegar you can pasteurize it once.

Just because it’s on the internet doesn’t make it true or real. Many sources are just opinions of something that seemed to work for someone.
Back in the day folks did things that made sense from trial and error. Preserving food has been around for as long has humans. Now we have science and research to guide us through safe canning procedures. Every week we hear of food safety recalls where something went wrong in our food chain. Spoiled or contaminated food can and does unfortunately make many people sick or worse.
As food preservers we owe it to our families to use the best available Technologies at our disposal. Canning is a fun and meaningful way to supply great flavourful, nutritional cost efficient products to our kitchens. Canning is a wonder way to extend our home garden harvest through the winter.
Apple Cinnamon Jelly anyone, or green beans?

Attachments

• 57F929B6-F372-4198-B11A-9FB24EBAE3B1.jpeg
    57F929B6-F372-4198-B11A-9FB24EBAE3B1.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 2
  • B454B976-2BBE-4E34-B05A-62D41390719D.jpeg
    B454B976-2BBE-4E34-B05A-62D41390719D.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 1
Kerr and Ball have downloadable recipe guides for preserving foods. They are the gold standard and have been in the business for decades. You can trust them. They're the ones who make the jars and lids designed for safe canning, along with all kinds of other tools and implements. Good luck, have fun and be safe!

It's about survival!!!
Agree 1000% with the above on all counts. It only takes a small taste of something containing botulinum toxin to kill! Your next jar could be the one.
Old recipes need to be reconfigured to meet modern food safety standards. Have a new cookbook, and follow it!
Mary
Hey Mary, I couldn't agree more with your take on canning and preserving. It's not just about delicious food; it's about safety, too.

Back
Top Bottom