Canning help...Broccoli?

Littlechick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Mobile, Alabama
Is there a way to put Broccoli up in jars so that it retains it's crunch? We have a recipe for a broccoli and swiss cheese soup that is FANTASTIC! We've been freezing them, but since we're trying to get away from that, we're wondering if there's a jarring method keeps the texture.

My wife and I were talking about this a few days ago. We didn't come up with an answer. We have limited freezer space but decided broccoli would be one of the few things that gets frozen.

Earlier this spring when we were floating away on a river of broccoli, I had the "super idea" to pickle some. After all, you can pickle cauliflower... Long story short, I wouldnt reccomend it
sickbyc.gif

Found on a gardening / canning website...

You will not easily find instructions for canning broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc. because of the very strong flavor that results from the lengthy time required to safely pressure can. It is not a safety issue, it is a smell/taste issue. BUt last year I had such a glut of brussels sprouts, more than freezer space I could spare, Tamia, that I did can the brussels sprouts following the basic Ball Blue Book instrutions on canning greens: pints for 70 min and quarts for 90 min. I learned this. THey are mushy and they had acquired a cabbage odor but they also were redeemable by adapting a baked tomato recipe and using them baked with tomatoes and onions and garlic, add other flavors you might like and with a bit of sugar added and cheese and bread crumbs, they actually made a nice casserole that complemented the meat dish. I also have tried them with a rice casserole and cheese. Also worked well. So be prepared that the texture and flavor will neither be that of fresh or frozen, but if that is the only way you have to preserve them, then be prepared as well to adapt recipes of a stronger flavor that will marry well with the canned broccoli. They will not stand well on their own.

I have found the best way to deal with broccoli is to dehydrate it. And when you re-hydrate it, it comes back just as good as when I first picked it. taste is amazing, even the color is nice.. I dehydrate a lot of vegetables. Broccoli is very quick and very easy blanche and dehydrated in my oven on the lowest temp with a door cracked open about an inch and it only takes a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom