Canning: Homemade Salsa Recipe without Bell Peppers

Demosthine

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey All...

I'm having trouble finding a good salsa recipe that does not have bell peppers in it. My Mom is mildly allergic to them, but she loves salsa. I just made 15 quarts of my salsa at about 70c a pint, so it can be a great deal. I want to do the same for her. Any good recipes out there?

Thanks.
Scott

P.S. I'm still looking, but it's such a key ingredient...

I love salsa and am "sensitive" to bell peppers so you inspired me to find a recipe. Not really allergic - but I get an upset stomache and taste peppers for two days after eating them. I googled "mexican salsa recipe" because a friend of mine who is allergic to peppers said the salsa she had on her mexican vacation didn't have any peppers in it.

I found a couple of recipes from here: http://vespawoolf.hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-Homemade-Mexican-Salsa-Recipe
that I am going to try. No green peppers and only a couple of chile's for heat, so I will skip them if I can.

Gloria's Authentic Salsa

• 6-8 large Roma tomatoes (2 Lbs/1 Kilo) OR 1-28 ounce can whole tomatoes, drained
  • 2 small or 1 medium onion(s), diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
  • 2-3 hot peppers (see tips), seeded and halved
  • 1/2-1 cup (a handful) fresh cilantro leaves, to taste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
  • juice of one lemon or lime, optional
If using fresh tomatoes, add ½ inch of water to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Core and halve tomatoes and set them, cut side up, in the skillet.*
While you dice the onions, simmer tomatoes until water evaporates and tomatoes start to soften. Peel and discard any skins that have loosened during steaming.
Toss tomatoes, hot peppers and cilantro into a blender container. Blend until smooth.
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic in hot oil for about 10 seconds; just a flash in the pan.
Add blended tomato mixture to the skillet with the onions and garlic and give it a stir.
Season with salt and ground pepper to taste. Add cumin if desired.
Simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes, or until salsa is reduced and thick. You may need to increase cook time if your tomatoes are very juicy.
You can add the juice of a fresh lime or lemon at this point, although it's not necessary and will temper the salsa's spiciness.

The Best Authentic Pico de Gallo

• 2 lbs. (about 1 Kilo) tomatoes, ripe but firm
  • 1/4 cup green onion, minced
  • 1/2 cup Vidalia onions, chopped finely
  • 1/2-3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1-2 hot peppers (to taste), finely minced
  • 4-5 Key limes
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Slice tomatoes in half. Remove seeds from about half of the tomatoes. Chop as seen below. I prefer to finely chop the tomatoes, so the tomato chunks are slightly larger than the other diced ingredients. Pour them into a large mixing bowl.
Dice the green onion, Vidalia onion and cilantro. Finely mince the hot peppers. Combine with the tomatoes.
Add pressed garlic cloves to the salsa.
Using a lime juicer, squeeze the juice of two limes into the salsa. Taste before adding the rest of the lime juice. Sprinkle with salt; drizzle with olive oil. Stir well.
Serve with tortilla chips or your favorite meal.

I have never made salsa with bell peppers in it, and can't think of anyone I know who has ever made any, either- I didn't know anyone would put bell peppers in salsa lol :) I make mine with jalapenos, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and cilantro. Sister will add a serrano or habanero to hers.

Back
Top Bottom