Canning Peachs, I need help

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
I filled the jars as far as I could but after I got them out of the bath water where was at least an inch on the bottom with nothing but syrup. They floated, (the peachs) to the top. I used a knife to take out the air bubbles. What am I doing wrong. I did 14 pints with about 14 more to go. Thanks for any ideas.

I did some peaches today and that's what mine are doing. Maybe thats just what they are supposed to do or we didnt pack them in there good enough.
idunno.gif

You just need to try to pack them in there better. It's not wrong what you are doing-I've had many a jar with and inch or two at the bottom
smile.png

If you're cold packing, it's because the peaches cook down when you boil the jars. If you're hot packing, it's normal. You can only pack so many peaches in the jar.

I did the hot pack method. My first time canning peaches, glad to hear I didnt screw it up. DH asked if I tasted them before I canned them. I kinda went like this
th.gif
! The thought didnt even occur to me!

My grandmother was boiling them with the syrup in a pot, then she puts the peaches in the jar and arranges them so as much as possible will fit in, then she adds the syrup. Put the lid on and there you go.

It sounds like a good first try. I canned peaches for the first time without the help of my Mom last year and decided I'd do cold packing to skip a step. After boiling there was 2-3" of emptyness on the bottom of each jar! I switched to hot packing after that first batch...

henrysue, this isn't my first time LOL I have been doing them for years I just thought I was doing something wrong. I did try to pack them in better and that worked a little better.

Thanks for all your help. I would really like to freeze them but don't have enought room in the freezer, it's small. ams3651 doesn't your grandmother boil them in a bath water?

BTW if the peaches in the top of the jar aren't totally covered with liquid & change color a bit, they're fine. That goes for about anything you can at home. It won't hurt the freshness of the canned produce.

Always do a sniff test anytime you open home-canned anything, though!

Back
Top Bottom