**Canning Question**??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by annie3001, Jun 4, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hello,[​IMG]
    If i dont have this in the correct, mods please feel free to move, my question is on canning.
    I would like to start canning more foods. especially the ones we are growing. I bought the large huge canning pot and utensils for canning etc.
    I started my batches of strawberry jelly today. Went picking with my 2 little kids, :)had a blast, and couldnt wait to start canning.
    I made the jam, set it aside. with brand new sterilized canning mason jars, I filled them. not quite up to the top. i waited for the water to be completely boiled and tightend the lids and placed them inside. it was kinda hard sinking them completly. this went on for some time.
    I removed them (only processed 2 jars) , checked the top and it appeared to be sealed. it did not pop up. [​IMG]
    awhile later, i checked on the jars. touched the top and it flexed. dang it.[​IMG] didnt seal right? getting a headache from this. any tips? thanks in advance![​IMG]

Sincerely,
    Frustrated. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

When you remove them from the canner, don't mess with or touch the lid.....they need to cool and then you can see if they've sealed.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    okay.
    after an hour of sitting on the counter, and finally cooled. one did seal ! [​IMG] the other one did not. can i try and do it again in the water? i put in the fridge for right now.

4. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    i have resealed them before. just make sure that they are not sealed and i would use another lid. I've done it many times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by