Chic grit question

Nicechickens64

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
Hi, I was told to start giving my 3 day old baby chics, chic grit. I had chicken grit. But, I saw there was chic grit. So? I went and bought a bag of that. I have 13 beautiful happy healthy chics!!. I gave them chic grit in a small container,the lid of a wide mouth mason jar. They all ate some of it. How much should I give them??. And how much is to much chic grit??. And can to much cause them harm?. I was told they would only eat what they need if it?. I just really appreciate this forum and all the experience here. Thanks for letting me ask my questions!!. I just want to do my best with these beautiful birds!,

Grit isnt needed unless feeding other treats which for me is usally around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I just add some Chick grit to the feed as my first chickens ate the chick grit instead of the feed.

Because chicks have been known to gorge on grit I offer a tiny pinch on top of their food once every few days. That's plenty to meet their needs. I do not offer free choice grit until they upgrade in grit size (grower grit around 6-8 weeks of age), as by then they should have better control of their desire to put everything in their mouths.

grit2.png

Good afternoon, new chicken mom here, I have 7 chicks that are 11 weeks old and I have them in their own coop and run. I have provided them with grit (not chick size) and oyster shells in 2 separate small containers (guinea pig feeders that are about 4in x 3in x 1.7in pic attached) and they have eaten it almost completely empty in a bout a week. Should I be concerned? Should I refill it or no? The oyster shell is 1/2 eaten. Your assistance is appreciated!
IMG_1445.jpeg

Good afternoon, I have 7 chicks that are 11 weeks old and I have them in their own coop and run. I have provided them with grit (not chick size) and oyster shells in 2 separate small containers (guinea pig feeders that are about 4in x 3in x 1.7in pic attached) and they have eaten it almost completely empty in a bout a week. Should I be concerned? Should I refill it or no? The oyster shell is 1/2 eaten. Your assistance is appreciated!View attachment 3811397
That sounds like a lot of grit!
I do know they do not need oyster shell until they are laying eggs, or at least close to that point.

I have provided them with grit (not chick size) and oyster shells in 2 separate small containers (guinea pig feeders that are about 4in x 3in x 1.7in pic attached) and they have eaten it almost completely empty in a bout a week. Should I be concerned? Should I refill it or no? The oyster shell is 1/2 eaten. Your assistance is appreciated!
Did they get grit before this? They might be gorging on it out of novelty, so I'd only put out a small amount at a time until they control their behavior.

They don't need oyster shell at all at this time so for now I would not give them any. Once they're close to point of lay I'd put it out then.

Did they get grit before this? They might be gorging on it out of novelty, so I'd only put out a small amount at a time until they control their behavior.

They don't need oyster shell at all at this time so for now I would not give them any. Once they're close to point of lay I'd put it out then.
Yes, they have had chick grit since about 4 wks old and I just transitioned them to regular grit about a week ago. I have since removed the grit and the shell. I will keep my eye on them but so far nothing unusual to report. Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom