When and How to Feed Grit

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
I'm putting some of my chicks in the new coop set up for them. I will continue feeding them chick starter for a while. I want to add other things to their diet, and I guess I am supposed to use grit. I have some chicken grit leftover from the last set of chickens I had. But I am wondering how do I use it, and how much?
I am reading here in some comments that you aren't supposed to put the grit in with the food. If not, then where do you put it?
Do I have to wait until they start laying eggs before I change the type of food they are eating or is there another type of feed they can eat (besides chick starter) in the meantime until they start laying?

Hello!

I put their grit in a ceramic dish nearby their food, and they eat it when they feel like they need it.

Also, if you are using chicken grit, it may be a little too big for younger chickens, so if you do not get chick grit, you could use a hammer to break up the bigger pieces of grit to make it easier to swallow. :)

Yep they sell chick grit that's smaller particles, get some of that (easy to find at any feed store or on Amazon), and put it in a separate container, not with the food but nearby.

You don't have to switch them away from chick starter, ever. It's a great all-around feed with a good protein percentage. Just offer calcium on the side when they approach laying age - crushed eggshell or crushed oyster shell, in a separate container. They'll know how much they need. Lots of folks on here, myself included, don't use layer feed because it has a flat ratio of calcium pre-mixed in it, that doesn't let the chickens regulate how much they eat. And their needs change throughout the year and their lives. Good alternatives to layer feed are chick starter, or an all flock type of feed, both of which are good for all ages and don't contain added calcium. Just make sure it's at least 18-20% protein, and always have calcium on the side.

Last edited:
You don't mention how old these birds are, or if they've ever had access to grit.

This is the size of stones you're looking for, for standard size birds. Chick grit from birth to around 8 weeks, grower from 8 to roughly 18 weeks, layer after that.

grit2.png

I do mix small amounts of chick grit in with their food, but by the time they're old enough to move to the next size I discontinue that. Chicks sometimes gorge on new things so that prevents that from happening.

As far as food, you can have them on unmedicated starter for life if you want, or you can switch to grower or all flock in between starter and layer (or keep them on it for life). In any of those cases you will need to provide calcium on the side. If you want to use layer feed, it's intended for birds about to lay or are actively laying, so my own preference is to not use it until half the "chicks" are actively laying.

I'm putting some of my chicks in the new coop set up for them. I will continue feeding them chick starter for a while. I want to add other things to their diet, and I guess I am supposed to use grit. I have some chicken grit leftover from the last set of chickens I had. But I am wondering how do I use it, and how much?
I am reading here in some comments that you aren't supposed to put the grit in with the food. If not, then where do you put it?
Do I have to wait until they start laying eggs before I change the type of food they are eating or is there another type of feed they can eat (besides chick starter) in the meantime until they start laying?
I have 'Chick Grit' for baby chicks. I'm not sure I even need it since they are outside now. But I don't know, maybe they do need it. The babies are about 6 weeks old.

I have 'Chick Grit' for baby chicks. I'm not sure I even need it since they are outside now. But I don't know, maybe they do need it. The babies are about 6 weeks old.
It doesn't hurt to provide it either way. It's cheap and easy to find. Simply being outside doesn't guarantee they'll be able to consistently find rocks of the right size. Depends on the soil type, how much vegetation there is (if they free range), the bedding (if in a run), etc.

Back
Top Bottom