Chick Grit

qwackers9

Songster
May 18, 2019
Western PA
I have 5 baby chicks...all exactly 2 weeks old. I started them on chick grit today, as per instructions on bag. I am unsure how much to really put/keep down. The bag said if it seems they are eating it excessively & cutting back on food, then to decrease the amount given. I am just looking for an average amount because I don't know how much would be considered excessive. I put some down just loose in corner of brooder & it mostly seemed to be gone so I threw in a !little more but should any be mixed in with their feed? Thanx!

I never mixed it in the feed. Just put a small bowl of it out. Putting it in the corner would be considered the same thing. Could some of it be mixed in with the bedding?

I have 5 baby chicks...all exactly 2 weeks old. I started them on chick grit today, as per instructions on bag. I am unsure how much to really put/keep down. The bag said if it seems they are eating it excessively & cutting back on food, then to decrease the amount given. I am just looking for an average amount because I don't know how much would be considered excessive. I put some down just loose in corner of brooder & it mostly seemed to be gone so I threw in a !little more but should any be mixed in with their feed? Thanx!
Are you feeding treats or anything other than standard starter crumble? If not, grit is unnecessary, and people’s opinions vary but feeding stuff other than feed (including treats) with controlled nutrients could be suboptimal. But, If you are, maybe offer the grit in a bowl where you can track how much you add and how often. I don’t have good numbers, but if the amount of grit you add exceeds a percentage of the feed you add, that’s an indication they’re overeating the grit and not eating enough feed. Grit doesn’t have digestible calories or nutrients, feed does. They may very well be scratching it and tossing it into bedding though, so not eating everything you put in the corner.

Yeah, I'm sure there is some in bedding that I can't see. Food is started crumble. The only other thing I have given them is crushed up dried mealworms but never more than a tablespoon between them & I have only done that 4-5 times. Not daily. I have two brooder boxes for them so I'm only using it as treat/reward when I transfer them to a clean brooder so I can clean the one they've been in. So far that has been the only time I handle them cause I don't want to pass anything that could make them sick. As much as I would like to hold them & let them get use to me touching them..I am waiting till they get older. Thanks for your response..that is helpful.

Yeah, I'm sure there is some in bedding that I can't see. Food is started crumble. The only other thing I have given them is crushed up dried mealworms but never more than a tablespoon between them & I have only done that 4-5 times. Not daily. I have two brooder boxes for them so I'm only using it as treat/reward when I transfer them to a clean brooder so I can clean the one they've been in. So far that has been the only time I handle them cause I don't want to pass anything that could make them sick. As much as I would like to hold them & let them get use to me touching them..I am waiting till they get older. Thanks for your response..that is helpful.
Couple thoughts here.

No matter how much or how often you give the meal worms, you should add grit when you do. Maybe just add grit to the ground meal worms and don’t give the grit separately? They need it to process the different food in the crop. The starter feed and water just turn to mush on its own.

I have NO reason you shouldn’t handle your birds. But, wash your hands before and after. Before to keep them from getting sick, after to keep you from getting sick. Every batch I get I handle regularly to acclimate them to me and people in general. They’ll go through phases, friendly while in the brooder, run away while they’re just in the coop, hop on lap when they mature, but as long as you do some proper hygiene I see no reason you shouldn’t handle your birds.

I started them on chick grit today, as per instructions on bag.
Our first chicks, we gave them grit, a little sprinkled in the food because we had a couple get pasty butt. We now have the 2 new groups, (4wks and 1 wk) we have learned about mash and fermenting, and the new chicks are getting a think mash as well as the dry grower, so far, no pasty butt or any other issues.

Couple thoughts here.

No matter how much or how often you give the meal worms, you should add grit when you do. Maybe just add grit to the ground meal worms and don’t give the grit separately? They need it to process the different food in the crop. The starter feed and water just turn to mush on its own.

I have NO reason you shouldn’t handle your birds. But, wash your hands before and after. Before to keep them from getting sick, after to keep you from getting sick. Every batch I get I handle regularly to acclimate them to me and people in general. They’ll go through phases, friendly while in the brooder, run away while they’re just in the coop, hop on lap when they mature, but as long as you do some proper hygiene I see no reason you shouldn’t handle your birds.
mine all get cuddled several times throughout the day. Getting them used to being handled, early, helps when you have to inspect them for mites or care for injuries.

Our first chicks, we gave them grit, a little sprinkled in the food because we had a couple get pasty butt. We now have the 2 new groups, (4wks and 1 wk) we have learned about mash and fermenting, and the new chicks are getting a think mash as well as the dry grower, so far, no pasty butt or any other issues.
My experience with pasty butt has been stress from initial shipment/transport or temperature issues. It’s interesting that feed has made a difference for you. I’m going to have to look into that. Good info. Thanks.

The way I handle it is I sprinkle a small pinch in their food once every few days. It prevents any possibility of gorging on the grit and helps ensure they're taking some in. I brood outdoors and they're definitely eating bedding, dirt and other stuff, so grit is necessary.

By the time they're around 6-8 weeks old and ready to move onto larger grit, I just have it on the side in a cup and they can take from there as needed.

All good to know. Thanx everyone! The first day of their arrival after being shipped, I gave them starter crumble with a little splash of Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes for Poultry (TSC). Just enough to moisten. Also as water source for first day only. On day 2, I started dry food just tossed in the corner to encourage foraging but continued, & still do, with the vitamin-moistened food cause they absolutely love it. But for drinking just plain water after that first day. Occasionally I will give them a very diluted vitamin water. Right now I'm just using a small container rather than a waterer (discovered mine leaked -picking up new one today) so I usually end up tossing more than they actually drink.They seem very healthy. Growing taller, getting tail feathers, more pronounced wings, etc & have had no pasty bottom or other issues. Sometimes I see poo that resembles melted chocolate but majority is normal solids. Although I haven't handled them much yet, I do talk to them all the time and do a little chicken call that I use for my two adult chickens that I adopted at 4 months old last fall. When free ranging, they always come running if they hear or see me even when I'm not calling them. Hopefully the young ones will follow their lead. Thanx again everyone

Back
Top Bottom