CANNOT catch the raccoon!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SecretHavenFarm, Apr 25, 2011.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    About 2 months ago my entire flock of silkies was was killed by a raccoon. The stupid thing keeps coming back everynight. I put the chicken wire back were it belongs and when I go out to feed my horses in the morning it is pulled back up. Which is why I am not getting anymore chickens until we have caught and disposed of the raccoon (and will also be rebuilding our run with hardware cloth)

I cannot trap the darn thing! I have been setting the trap for like a month, baiting with different things, I put the trap in the different spots he had come in, and still nothing!

What can I do to get rid of this raccoon!

2. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    chicken wire isn't usually strong enough to deter raccoons, you might have better luck with thicker-gauge material. what have you tried so far to use to catch him?

ETA: just realized you said you were gonna change wire [​IMG] sorry!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It may be you need to get all human scent off the trap -- wash it down then handle with leather gloves. And camouflage it, if you don't already. I don't know that coons are ever that smart -- but they're pretty darn smart.

4. CapricornFarm

CapricornFarm Rolling in the Deep

Feb 1, 2010
    Southern Virginia
    I heard if you mix coke with fly bait , raccoons will drink it and it kills them. No trap needed.

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    have you tried marshmallows?

6. m_shuman

m_shuman Songster

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    My Husband traps coons all of the time and he uses sardines in a live trap. He also camoflauges the trap with pine straw and leaves.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Could kill other things, too, though. What kind of trap are you using? Live-trap? Leg-hold? I hope you can catch him soon.

8. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Songster

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Quote:and every other non target animal.

9. Sorin

Sorin Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Just a suggestion, but you may have to pull an all nighter with a shotgun and wait for him. I had a similar situation like yours, I could not catch the bugger [​IMG] I was frustrated, so I cleaned out the refrigerator, laid it all out at the edge of the woods, and he finally showed up about 12:30.

10. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    We are using a live trap.

Sardines was one of the first things we baited it with. I have also tried hot dogs and dog food.

Didnt even think I would need to camo the trap, Ill try that tonight, and also washing the scent of humans off.

Marshmallows? lol do racoons have a love for sweets that I didnt know about?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: