canola oil for boosting omega 3?

It is my understanding that the only source of Omega 3 is from fish related products, grains contain Omega 6. This is what is said to be wrong with the Western diet in that we eat less fish products and more grain products these days our Omega 6 levels are high and Omega 3 levels are low.

That said if you want to increase Omega 3 in eggs it must come from fish.

This is information gleaned from reasearch into my dogs diet.

Hope it helps.

Quote:
You and I think alike.

And I feel the same exact way about soy.

I feed my birds a can of tuna or salmon once a week.

Last edited:
And I feel the same exact way about soy.

thumbsup.gif
Ditto!

If someone really wants a plant-based source of omega 3's, look in to chia seeds. That are very nutritious but a bit spendy.​

I bought a 50 lb of Flax seed a few months ago. I mix a few cups with each 50 lb bag of layer pellets. The bag cost less than $30.00. I am storing in the original bag in a storage room in the back of my coop. It is holding up fine. I believe this 50lb bag will last me about a year with my current flock (17 pullets).

I am so glad I read this post, I've been putting Bob's Red Mill ground flax meal in my oatmeal lately and didn't realize it should be refrigerated. After reading this post I read the label and sure enough I should refrigerate.

I am confused about one thing. I thought flax seed needed to be crushed in order to digest it (for people; that's why I bought the ground stuff). Can chickens digest the whole flax seeds? maybe the grit and their different digestive system helps.

Some of the oldest and healthiest people on the planet eat soy regularly. Probably not the GMO super process stuff we have in the US. Yes soy has estrogens but a little here and there doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I find the whole soy debate very confusing!

Quote:
Like you, I stay away from canola oil like the plague, but feel compelled to point out that you should NEVER cook with flaxseed oil because it will oxidize. (Re the black oil -- are you talking about nigella sativa/blackseed oil?)

Back
Top Bottom