Can't break a broody hen.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechicksitter, May 11, 2016.

1. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    Have you considered giving her some fertilized eggs and letting her do her thing. That way you only have 3 weeks of having her out of commission. She sounds pretty determined. Our buff brahma got very broody last week. I tried pulling her from the box at night but she was back in the AM - I just gave her some eggs to hatch and figured that may scratch her itch.

1 person likes this.
  2. thechicksitter

thechicksitter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    Texas

It was stupidly dark. Just a sliver of light from a nearby streetlight which made it harder to do it quietly. And I think you're right about the warmth. Once they curled up together, they stopped trying to get under her.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  3. thechicksitter

Jun 29, 2015
    Texas
    Someone actually just offered me some. Do you think she can handle another three weeks on top of the six weeks she's already been broody?

4. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    I don't know if it matters. She will either hatch them or give up first. Worst case you waste a few eggs from her giving up - but your broodiness is over. If she is bound and determined to hatch some chicks - then not giving her eggs could leave her there longer - at least you now have an outer bound of 21 days.

5. thechicksitter

Jun 29, 2015
    Texas
    Excellent point. I'm more comfortable with that than bringing in more chicks that she might reject.

6. thechicksitter

Jun 29, 2015
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    She stayed out almost all day yesterday. Apparently the best way to break a broody is to finally break down and ask the Internet for help. Hahaha.

7. 6peepers

6peepers New Egg

Jun 23, 2015
    hello, I have a Barred Rock that is acting very Broody, but I dont have any roosters, is this normal?

8. 6peepers

6peepers New Egg

Jun 23, 2015
    also she has missing belly feathers. when I take her out she eats, drinksbathes, makes a turd then back in she goes.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You don't need roosters for a hen to want to sit. The eggs don't have to be fertile. In fact, there doesn't even have to be eggs.
    Missing belly feathers is because she pulled them to line the nest and put her body heat closer to the eggs.
    Since you don't have fertile eggs, she needs to go to broody jail. Pulling them off the nest doesn't do anything but eat up tons of your time.

10. 6peepers

6peepers New Egg

Jun 23, 2015
    Thank you, guess ya can tell Im a newbie at this. I think I'll mark the egg and let her have it untill she gives up on her own, more natural that way. I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by