Can't catch aggressive rooster

Pics

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Hi all. I have a very aggressive rooster. He's almost a year old, barely weighs a pound but will fight like he's the biggest bird ever. He constantly flies at everyone and only backs down when he's fighting another rooster like my big boys. I've tried a lot of things. Kicking, yelling, scaring him, making myself look bigger with my arms, swinging a stick, etc. But none of it works. If anything, it pisses him off more and I'm starting to realize its because this is what another roo would do - fight back.
So, I've been told to try and catch him but... The issue is that he's tiny. So, he can fly and jump and strike from the air. The most I could do today was pinch his tail. How in the world am I supposed to snatch him? Should I just... Lure him into a corner or something??

(BBQ is not an option cus I'm raising my poultry birds as pets LOL)
1702665115776.png
1702665195979.png

He's dangerous, and need to be dinner for someone soonest. We prefer to handle/ catch birds at night while they are roosting, with a small flashlight. We have a smaller fish net that is useful in our coop, and a big long handled net for outside, if it's ever necessary.
Our first rooster, also a little bantam, would fly up to eyeball level every day, planning to murder me. Always carried a weapon out there, and finally got smart and sent him to the happy hunting ground, where he belonged.
This guy needs to be gone before someone is really injured!
Mary

I wish you luck and safety. Corner him inside the coop with a long-handled fishing net. Wear eye protection. Then separate him inside another enclosure with food and water until you decide what you want to do about him.

BBQ is not an option cus I'm raising my poultry birds as pets LOL)
A pet does not attack you. He can do someone some serious harm, especially a child. A pet is not dangerous, and this bird clearly is. Don't think he's not, just because he is small.

So what exactly are you asking? How to catch him? And what do you plan to do with him, once you do catch him?

I think you are asking how to catch him, so that you can do the carry around and make him submissive to you. He is your bird, and you can do what you want, but there are many posts on here about training a bird to be submissive, but they are not terribly effective.

I think you either keep him, knowing he is and will be aggressive, or you dispatch him. That is really the only training that works.

BE aware if you have children under 6, or people that visit. Other people often times do not see the humor of being attacked.

Mrs K

I think you are asking how to catch him, so that you can do the carry around and make him submissive to you. He is your bird, and you can do what you want, but there are many posts on here about training a bird to be submissive, but they are not terribly effective.

I think you either keep him, knowing he is and will be aggressive, or you dispatch him. That is really the only training that works.

BE aware if you have children under 6, or people that visit. Other people often times do not see the humor of being attacked.

Mrs K
Well, he managed to cut my leg today. I think that's the final straw for me, to be honest. I'm thinking of giving him away somewhere. It's just painful because I raised him from when he was 1 day old. :( I really don't want to get rid of him but none of these "training tactics" have been helpful. He literally attacked me today just because I walked up to the fence to say hi to our neighbors roosters. I just don't have the patience and I'm already under a lot of mental stress. I know he's probably just being overprotective, especially of his lady Bambi, but I have a 7 yr old nephew and I don't need or want him to get sliced like I did. I honestly want to cry thinking about it because not only will it affect my emotional state, it'll also affect Bambi's...

I know how you feel. My Araucana cockerel sliced my left calf on Monday, and i was wearing jeans! I now have 3 butterflies holding it together, as if I don't have enough challenges in life. :( I contacted the breeder to collect him, then cancelled as I was so hopeful that i could see past it but then I noticed him fluff up and flap every time I entered my backyard. He has always been bold; walking up to peck around the dogs while they are eating a bone, to the point of outright harrassment of the dogs. I put the hose on him a few times but the dogs ended up sorting him out with a single bark, which i approved of and he respected.

On Tuesday he was outright stalking me, so I kept my dogs nearby while working around the garden, hanging washing etc. He seemed fine until lockup time, then refused to enter the coop. I decided to leave him out and started to leave the run, watching him as I left. As soon as my dog turned to exit the gate he charged her. I called her name and she spun in time to corner him, then my other dog joined in. It was chaos for a few seconds but no animals were hurt. He backed off enough that we could all get outta there!

Wednesday the breeder collected him. I thought the hens would be missing him but they seem absolutely fine without him. I miss his crowing but I'm just not experienced or young enough to handle such a situation. I know he's only doing what he thinks is right but so am I when i need to do stuff in my yard. Silly roo. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom