Can't catch aggressive rooster

Pics
Can you put the crate next to the flock? Inside their run, or next to the run, or something like that. That would keep him from feeling as lonely.

Good. That means you will be able to get him into the crate without hurting you or him.

You probably did not do anything wrong. Some roosters just do that.
He is not smart enough to see the consequences (getting rehomed or killed.) But you can see that he is still doing it, and that you need to do something (like putting him in the crate, to keep both you and him safe while you make plans for what to do next.)
I will do my best, that's all I can do. Whatever choice I go with, it'll hurt, but I can't keep letting him beat me up. I recently did find out he's terrified of my purple jacket, so I've been making myself look bigger with it and it seems to startle him. I'll try to get him in that crate. I've had to put my sweeter rooster Trifle in it before due to an injury... So I do have experience with that part but... Emphasis on Trifle being "sweeter." 😅

Well, he managed to cut my leg today. I think that's the final straw for me, to be honest. I'm thinking of giving him away somewhere. It's just painful because I raised him from when he was 1 day old. :( I really don't want to get rid of him but none of these "training tactics" have been helpful. He literally attacked me today just because I walked up to the fence to say hi to our neighbors roosters. I just don't have the patience and I'm already under a lot of mental stress. I know he's probably just being overprotective, especially of his lady Bambi, but I have a 7 yr old nephew and I don't need or want him to get sliced like I did. I honestly want to cry thinking about it because not only will it affect my emotional state, it'll also affect Bambi's...
I'm sure you have already found a solution. But wanted to add my 2 cents. I found an animal rescue farm to send my aggressive rooster to. You may have one in your area. He was so aggressive that he couldn't stay with the other roosters, but found a home out in the field with the cows and an emu.

You said your aggressive rooster cuddled in your arms the other NIGHT. But he turned aggressive the next DAY. This is why we are trying to tell you to put him in a cage AT NIGHT - because you will be able to safely manage him at night, when he can't see well enough to attack you. But during the day, when he can see, he will surely attack you again. For your own safety as well as for his, please put him in a separate area where he can't hurt you, and you won't kick him, and do it at night.

What if his attacks have nothing to do with you?​

Why Do Roosters Attack People?​

Roosters attack because they are programmed to do it. In their wild early days, chickens, of course, didn’t have people to protect them. They had their own intelligence and their (very limited) flight ability.

As you can imagine, they didn’t have a lot.

In order to avoid the entire flock being eaten by predators, roosters learned quickly to protect the hens by attacking whatever happened to invade the territory.

Roosters who were the most successful at doing this quickly rose to the top of the pecking order and had the most – ahem – success with the ladies later on.

Aggressive rooster behavior boils down to a natural defense mechanism.

13 ways to prevent a rooster attack

But I'm all for NatJ's method of stopping the daily battle before you really get hurt or end up hurting the bird. I was attacked once and never agin. Too old for that nonesense.

I'll try to get him in that crate. I've had to put my sweeter rooster Trifle in it before due to an injury... So I do have experience with that part but... Emphasis on Trifle being "sweeter." 😅
Watch Triffle doesn't start attacking you after the other roo is out of the picture. Neither of my cockerels were a problem until I rehomed the younger one. Within days I was attacked.

wow this thread just makes me thankful that i don’t have any roosters. or drakes either. i do have one gander but he’s been reasonably well behaved. I had one rooster about 30 years ago who tried to attack my two year-old daughter, and that very same day he was dispatched.

Back
Top Bottom