Can't catch aggressive rooster

The only aggressive roosters I've ever had were human imprinted. It's unnatural for humans to raise chicks and it scrambles their brains. Either they think I'm a chicken or they're a human

I have never had an aggressive rooster that was raised by a broody hen
This makes sense! When my broody betty hatched and raised two silkies (one of each) earlier this year the cockerel was a lovely gent. The breeder of my Araucana cockerel said she kept an aggressive rooster for breeding purposes but did most of the hatching herself.

Come spring I'll most certainly have extra Fayoumi and Sumatra mix cockerels running around if you'd like one of those
That would be good. I'm going to have to reign in the little lady because she is getting more and more adventurous. Another week and she will be out in the neighbors pasture across the road with the calves and donkeys if I don't.

The only aggressive roosters I've ever had were human imprinted. It's unnatural for humans to raise chicks and it scrambles their brains. Either they think I'm a chicken or they're a human

I have never had an aggressive rooster that was raised by a broody hen
Ditto. Same for me. The chick imprints on its caretaker. If it imprints on a hen, the chick grows up understanding what he is and how to behave. All my hen raised cockerels have been gentlemen. Even those descended from an aggressive rooster.
Mama hen knows best.

You might be right, at least often.
It's been 30+ years, and I don't remember for sure. Growing up in a mixed age flock does help.
Mary
Hmm. I don't know... the rooster that attacked me grew up in a mixed flock, with an older rooster, and we never messed with him. Our chickens are not pets!. He was a bachelor for a couple of years, as the older roo definitely kept him in his place. When the older rooster died (hawk? I don't remember), he became flockmaster and was perfectly fine for at least a couple of years. Then my Kid started telling me Mike would chase him when he (The Kid) went out to do chicken chores, and would flap his wings at him. He started being scared of the rooster so I took over the chores. The Kid was about 11 or 12, I believe, not little. The rooster didn't bother me so I didn't see what The Kid was talking about. Until ... that day when he charged me from behind and raked my bare legs (I was, for once, wearing shorts). When I turned to face him, it was on. I've told this before. He came flying at me and nearly got me in the face. I swung my cane at him. I swung again but he came back, smacking me in the knee with his beak, hitting me with a force like a grown man swinging a claw hammer and I went down. I couldn't believe he had hurt me like that. I got up and went after him, trying to knock his head off with my cane but he kept coming at me like he was determined to kill me. It was terrifying! My husband finally rescued me. I couldn't believe I hadn't been able to kill him. He was like The Terminator and I was in tears. I know my Kid's timidity around him made him worse, but I don't know what made him belligerent to begin with. He wasn't. And then... he was.

I'm gonna get rid of him somehow.... Until then, I've just been kicking the hell out of him whenever he flies at my legs with those damn talons. I feel bad kicking him when he attacks but I have no choice.
You say you have no choice but to kick him. I understand that if you are attacked unexpectedly. But by now, this is not unexpected: you know very well what he is going to do. So you should do something to change the situation.

My suggestion:
Gtab him tonight and put him in a cage or pen that you do not have to enter. Tomorrow, there will be no need to kick him, because he won't be able to hurt you. That will be better for both you and for him.

Getting rid of him is a good long-term plan, but being safe NOW is important too. (And if you would feel bad putting him in a cage: just think how you will feel if you kill him or seriously injure him by kicking too hard. A day or a few days in a cage would be better than that.)

Back
Top Bottom