Can't do the deed and frustrated

Can you give yourself an extra day and try again tomorrow? Give yourself some time to relax and think about why you're raising your own birds in the first place. I am about to butcher my first as well, and I try to focus on that when I get nervous, that I'm going to provide fresh, homegrown food for my family and it's worth it to push through the hard parts. Let us know how it goes!

I like butchering and find it very enjoyable.I have done pigs,deer,lots of chickens and one cow.Killing is the lest fun but I feel it is usually the green light to many good things. I usually try to have family and friends over to help me so it makes the day go better.I get to hang out with friends that I would not any other time .At the end of the day I have fellowshiped with family and friends,the freezer will be full, I and will be eating a plate full of chickens hearts.So if killing is the start to that than I can handle it.

Well I still have the buggers :/ bf agreed to do the killing but we've been so busy that it's been delayed. Hoping for next weekend!i know I'll be fine for butchering, and hoping to work up to the actual killing.

Thanks all for your posts!

I can totally take care of everything after the fact and I'm loving that I'll put homegrown bird on the table but I mentally freeze at the slicing :/ I will try again tomorrow or next week. I'm not attached to any of the roosters so I'm mad at myself for not following through.

You know, I went through this last year.

I had settled on my husband doing the slaughtering, because the thought of the cut went right through me. Go figure he was on a 48 hour shift when one of the meat roosters legs went out.

I fashioned a quick killing cone, and stood there with the rooster sat under it. Put my headphones in and probably did 6 frantic walking loops around the house.

IT. IS. HARD. It is not supposed to be easy. It is very difficult for about 30 seconds, then it gets easier and more mechanical. Dispatching is not a breeze though. Try headphones with music on (though I'll never hear Summertime Sadness the same way again). I didn't want to hear anything, so that helped. Find where you want to make the cut, and don't hesitate. Don't expect to get it right the first time, I had to readjust my cut the first time because I wasn't pressing hard enough.

You will be fine.

I don't think anyone other than a sicko likes killing. When I used to hunt pheasants, after I killed one I would look at how beautiful they were, and feel sorry. Same with chickens. You may not enjoy killing, but it has to be done. Growing up on a farm it was just a natural thing, you wanted to eat you did it. Good luck.

Although I never had to deliberate on killing a bird (I am not a super hunter/am the type to carry a bug or spider outside over squashing them).. It is all about the preparation for me, Sharpest possible knife especially if you properly sharpen it yourself. Sizing up your spot of action and all the angles and implements involved etc. be for hand then when it comes time you say a little mantra of your choosing and BAM you do your best job at the task with no looking back.

Last edited:
Why I like the axe, it's fast and sure. Though the cone holds them in place which would be nicer for when the birds nervous system wigs out. My first round of culling birds I couldn't bring myself to do the deed. I ask a neighbor for a hand, he killed I butchered. That helped ease me into it for all the dispatches I've done since. I duct tape the bag to garbage can, use a length of tree for chopping block, chop and toss the bird in can and walk away to sit and relax during the minute of nervous system shorting. Have a sip or two of beer, smoke then put that bird on cutting table and go grab another.

When i process i just dont think about it. Its easier for me. I feel worse when there hens. But are meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom