Can't do this again..... )o:

canesisters

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 18, 2011
Virginia
I need some ideas!

My Mom passed away early this year and she was always the driving force behind all of our family gatherings. We knew that Christmas was going to be tough but this was just ridiculous.
Here's a brief 'family dynamics' for background. Dad hasn't learned a new joke since the 70's (not kidding!) and gets all of his news/current events from the 1-page local paper. Roommate doesn't like my family and attends but doesn't talk to anyone unless asked a direct question. She doesn't drive and has no local family so the only way I could get her to not attend would be for me to take her somewhere and leave her (haha, not a bad idea..). Brother-in-law is always right and is an expert in all things. Sister is funny and easy going but will differ to what ever mood/topic her husband is going for. And me - hostess by default. Pretty much the same as everyone's family I guess.
My house is big and centrally located so it just makes sense to be the gathering spot - and I'm happy to 'host' these things. BUT - I am not a great conversationalist and have trouble getting/keeping things lively. This year, the after dinner entertainment ended up being guessing the 'plot twists' in the string of Hallmark movies... OMG! - YAWN!!!!!!!!!!

SO - who has some good, adult party games. Something that anyone can play. Something that the grumpy Brother in law might actually participate in. Something that just might get a couple of laughs???

I figure I've got a couple of months before the next one but I just can't face the idea of sitting around staring at each other again.
What do yall do for fun at family gatherings? Dad's in his 70's and b.i.l. is partially blind so things like touch football or softball are out.

You might try a game of Murder. No, not literally, although under the circumstances that might be tempting. Try googling it to get the exact rules. If memory serves, it goes something like this. All the participants draw a piece of paper. One of the the pieces will say "murderer" No one is to say what they drew. At one point the lights go out, and the murderer touches the "victim". After a few seconds, time enough for the murderer to move away from the "victim" the "victim" screams. The lights come back on and one of the guests, the "victim" is lying dead and the other guests try to figure out who dunnit.

That's funny! I might be able to adapt this without the creeping around in the dark. It would be too funny if my b.i.l. was the murderer and when the lights came back on not only was the victim laying on the floor but he was tangled up in the coffee table and was down there too.
roll.png

I was wasting some time on google this morning and came across 'Who Am I'. You stick a name tag on people's backs and they have to ask questions of others to find out who they are... A variation that I thought would be funny - since we have such a small group - would be to have everyone treat each other as if they WERE whatever was written on their backs - and have labels like "3 yr old child", "ax murderer", "turkey, soon to be the main course", "pet cat or dog", etc.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom