Can't figure out what's wrong

Cluck 'n Quack

Chirping
Jan 19, 2018
Oregon
I have a 1-1/2 year old hen that has been slowly looking worse since the Summer molt. She's just bones. Feathers rumpled, comb flesh colored, not laying. She doesn't hang with the group, free-ranges alone. Runs for scratch. Appears to eat, but her crop isn't full at night. Poop looks normal. No sign of mites, lice. Eyes clear, no respiratory problem. I've dewormed & have them on hen boost. Read everything I could but can't find an answer. Worried about a disease that could affect the others.

I have a 1-1/2 year old hen that has been slowly looking worse since the Summer molt. She's just bones. Feathers rumpled, comb flesh colored, not laying. She doesn't hang with the group, free-ranges alone. Runs for scratch. Appears to eat, but her crop isn't full at night. Poop looks normal. No sign of mites, lice. Eyes clear, no respiratory problem. I've dewormed & have them on hen boost. Read everything I could but can't find an answer. Worried about a disease that could affect the others.
Hi! sorry to hear about your hen's issues
can you bring her to a vet?
how many birds do you have?
what size coop?
how does her poop look

Layena pellets free feed plus a little scratch on the ground. Nothing remarkable about her look other than she's not grooming herself. Normal poop. Her top beak is definitely longer. I'm going to trim it & crush up the pellets & see if it helps.

I have a small, shed-type coop that they only use for sleeping. Thirteen birds free-range on 3+ acres dawn till dusk. Lots of trees, shrubs, grass, etc to keep life interesting.

Sorry for your hen; she's sick, and there are so many possibilities. Have you looked her, and everyone over at night with a flashlight for lice and mites? That's a fixable problem if you find any bugs on anyone.
You can have a fecal run at your veterinarian's, and if at all possible, take her in.
Beyond that, it's likely that she has an internal problem that can't be fixed.
Mary

i am wondering if she is being picked on, and possibly bullied by the others
what wormer did you use when you dewormed ?
if she is sick you will want to increase her protein intake and possibly seperate her from the others

any others showing signs of distress?

Sorry for your hen; she's sick, and there are so many possibilities. Have you looked her, and everyone over at night with a flashlight for lice and mites? That's a fixable problem if you find any bugs on anyone.
You can have a fecal run at your veterinarian's, and if at all possible, take her in.
Beyond that, it's likely that she has an internal problem that can't be fixed.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom