Can't Find Air Sack In Egg

Coins

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I would like to incubate chicken eggs in the future, but there's a little complication. My red sex link hen lays these weird oval-shaped eggs that seemingly have no tip or base. (If that doesn't make sense I'll see if I can post pictures.)

I've tried candling them, but the light can't really get through the brown pigment.

What should I do? I was going to wait for her to go broody, but I'd still like to be able to know which side of the egg is which!

How many lumens is the light your using and are you candling in the dark? Also there wont be an air sack for a few days after laid and that is quite small. I've had oval egg before and simply took my first gut feeling as to which end was up.

I've used a halide work light before, cut a hole in a box bottom and placed upside down over the lamp. Worked great but sure does get hot quick. Anymore I've got a Duracell led flashlight that is 500 lumens bright. Works like a charm, availble at Costco and I think Walmart.

Worse comes to worse and you can just incubate with them laying on the side. The air sac will know which end is which.

Back
Top Bottom