can't find "red rock" in breed index.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mamabigbird, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    We just got six new babies from the breeders. Three red sussex and three red rock but can't find the red rocks in the index. Are they known as some other name. They (red rocks) are black fluff balls, a bit smaller than the sussexes. Anyone know of another name for them. The red sussex are soooooo cute. They look like chipmunks.

2. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    could they be partridge rocks? they are kind of red.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Red rock?

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Red Rock is another word for Black sex link

5. mamabigbird

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I think ( barred-rock-rock) might be right because they are guaranteed to be females. Black sex link sounds right. Thanks.

6. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Your Welcome. They should be black with a golden neck.

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes they are black sexlinks, the "Red Rock" name came about when way back when this cross was first done, becuase they were from a Rhode Island RED rooster on Barred ROCK hens. Thus they were called Red Rocks. Its a really confuing name though becuase you would think the birds would be red.

Though my granny still argues with me that RIRs are Red Rocks, but she was the kinda gal that all they had when she was young was barred rocks ( domineckers ) , White Rocks, and RIRs and since they all have similar body shape, I guess she called a red bird a Red Rocks just as she called a white bird a White Rock.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  8. mamabigbird

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I was told that they'll be black with a dark red chest when they get their big girl feathers. Sounds pretty. But then I think all chickens are pretty.[​IMG]

9. mamabigbird

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I was told that they'll be black with a dark red chest when they get their big girl feathers. Sounds pretty. But then I think all chickens are pretty.[​IMG]

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes that is correct, if you look up black sexlinks, you will find pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by