Can't get any chicks :(

I haven't heard good things about ideal's silkies. I just ordered from ideal and the birds were healthy and are growing good. However; they are not the best representatives of the breed. I think if you stick with RIR, Orpingtons, Leghorns, or other more standard breeds you would have better luck through them.

ETA: most "mom & pop" feedstores will special order smaller amounts for customers since they already meet minimums with their large orders.

Last edited:
Well these are all hatchery stock that we are talking about so they are all going to have their own problems with their birds when it comes to representing the respective breeds. Joey if you are wanting to get high quality birds that have good genes and can be used for breeding or for showing, then as it has been recommended to myself, buy good show quality. However there is nothing wrong with starting off with hatchery stock birds if you are just wanting to get started and have a small flock for pets/eggs/meat etc. As long as they are happy and healthy that's all that really matters. But do take some advice from me as I am still learning myself. Chickens while they of course can be rather cost effective usually wind up being quite a bit more expensive than you would originally think. And sometimes it can be worth it to pay the extra cash when getting chicks. But Good luck with your chicks from Ideal! The little fluff butts are always filled with fun and excitement. I can't wait till mine hatch next friday ^^

I used healthychicksandmore.com they are a hatchery out of Ohio. The minimum order is 10 but with free shipping and a promo going on for a free rare breed chick with order. I just got my chicks in, and it only took 3 days since the day I ordered. Also, where I don't think this company is as popular they still have many chick breed available now.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom