cant get dinner on the table!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AHappychick, Jan 24, 2010.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yeast did not rise second time in 2 days bread was a failure must be the yeast as I make it twice a week [​IMG]

Thought chicken was done but I did not put the themometer in the right place, just cut it open and its still raw inside-back into oven now with bacon ontop so it does not dry out. [​IMG]

Put corn on stove (frozen from summer) cause I though chicken was done, now its gonna be soggy [​IMG]

I am ready to call for pizza and give up but no cash and by the time they get here the chicken will be done anyway.

Just ate my 3rd sugar cookie that ds and I baked last night [​IMG]

2. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    thats ok! the worst that happens is that you have the makings for chicken soup tomorrow night... [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    If you eat enough sugar cookies you won't need dinner. [​IMG]

Popcorn makes an excellent dinner also. High in fiber, very filling and it's a, ummm... grain. See how healthy? [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh man, my sympathies for all that! I have done some disaster dinners- and chicken was always my downfall. I have decided I have a perpetually faulty oven. Even though it's the fourth one! [​IMG]

Yeast? hey, that's a living critter, maybe it took the day off.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG] DH is out of town - first night popcorn, second night, pancakes. Haven't decided what tonight will be yet! [​IMG]

Dratted dogs got most of the popcorn though.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:How do you cook your chicken? I roast mine vertically and 90 minutes at 400 it comes out perfect every time. No need for a thermometer.

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] Okay here's my idea. Order the pizza and when he get's there have the 'would be meal' in a box and say this is all I have. I made it just for you [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    the chicken will be fine... [​IMG]
    Smart idea with the bacon!! [​IMG]

9. LizFM

LizFM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    My grandma loved to tell the story of how her sister-in-law was a new bride back in the 20's...she had not helped her mom much in the kitchen, so she was trying to bake bread on her own for her new husband. It would not raise and it would not raise. Finally, she decided it was a total failure...but how to hide the evidence? Her husband was quite the jokester and she knew he would tell the story far and wide. [​IMG] So in desperation she took a shovel, dug a hole in the chicken pen, and buried the dough.

At which point...the sun warmed up the ground and the dough finally started to rise. By the time her husband came home, it had risen out of the hole and the chickens were pecking at it.

Which, of course, made a much better story than just ruining a batch of bread. [​IMG] It's been a story in our family for 3 generations now.

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:In my experience, I've never gotten full on popcorn. No matter how much I eat, I'm still hungry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by