Cant get my hens to go broody!

EilighsFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Hi, so for the past months I've been trying to get my hens to go broody. Nothings working. Ive tried the golf balls in the nest boxes I've kept in mind that orphingtons go broody which I have 2 of. Nothings working. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Unfortunately, there's no real way to make a hen go broody. It is completely triggered by hormones. They're more likely to go broody in the srping, because the longer days and more abundant food (insects, plants, etc) trigger their hormones and tell them it is time to raise chicks.

You cannot make a hen go broody, as explained above it is a hormone thing. Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others silkies, showgirls, orpingtons, cochins. Many people buy silkies just to use them as "incubators" for other breeds(eggs) they want to hatch. But, not all silkies will go broody. The golf ball trick is to show hens where their eggs should be laid not to stir up broody feelings.

Some broodies will try to hatch rocks, twigs, and even air, convinced they are going to have chicks. When a hen sincerely wants to be broody she will stay on her eggs and growl & fluff up her hackles if you try to come near them. They don't want to leave the nest to eat, drink, or poop. You have to physically put them out 2 or 3 times a day, for short periods so they will take care of their own needs.

There are also hens that don't get the full picture, they may hatch chicks and then panic and harm or eat them. In that case you would promptly remove survivors and put them in an incubator/ brooder.

If you put "Broody hens," in the searchbox I'm sure you will find out even more info about them.

You cannot make a hen go broody, as explained above it is a hormone thing. Some breeds are more likely to go broody than others silkies, showgirls, orpingtons, cochins. Many people buy silkies just to use them as "incubators" for other breeds(eggs) they want to hatch. But, not all silkies will go broody. The golf ball trick is to show hens where their eggs should be laid not to stir up broody feelings.

Some broodies will try to hatch rocks, twigs, and even air, convinced they are going to have chicks. When a hen sincerely wants to be broody she will stay on her eggs and growl & fluff up her hackles if you try to come near them. They don't want to leave the nest to eat, drink, or poop. You have to physically put them out 2 or 3 times a day, for short periods so they will take care of their own needs.

There are also hens that don't get the full picture, they may hatch chicks and then panic and harm or eat them. In that case you would promptly remove survivors and put them in an incubator/ brooder.

If you put "Broody hens," in the searchbox I'm sure you will find out even more info about them.

Thankyou so much! Helpful information. Im currently hatching silkies so maybe they will go broody. Also, I already have orpingtons.Thanks again.

Unfortunately, there's no real way to make a hen go broody. It is completely triggered by hormones. They're more likely to go broody in the srping, because the longer days and more abundant food (insects, plants, etc) trigger their hormones and tell them it is time to raise chicks.

Ill try in spring! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom