Can't get the correct temperature?

Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 9, 2010
Somerset, England
I brought a incubator of eBay and have now decided to put it to use. I have 6 eggs ready to go in. The incubator has a fan and a thermostat. The problem is I can get it to 99.5 but then when I put the water and the eggs in it drops to 92. Then it slowly creeps up to 99.5 in 2 hours. What should I do ? also the humidity sometimes gets to high or low. How do I control this?

Thanks

What brand is it? You also need to give it time to level off every time you adjust the thermostat. Is it in a room with drafts or by a window?

Is very normal for the temperature to drop down when you put egg sor water since they are colder they need to warm up before the temperature recovers

About the humidity

I recomend you

first find out how is the humidity in the bator before you put water

turn the bator put gydrometer inside let it run 24 hours
check humidity

if you need to raise humidity add litlle bit of water

use a sringe to measure how much water you add

try one sringe at the time
and wait 2 to 4 hours
let humidity stabilize
keep going until you find the right number you are looking for, after you have ur humidity set , you dont have to add that much of water
just keep watching the humidity you may need to add a full sringe every other day

be patient dont spect temperature or humidity to change so fast

give it time

hope it helps

The temp is now sorted now just to get the humidity up thanks
smile.png

What are you using for a water tray? You might need to put another smaller pan/tray in there because it's winter and the heater usually brings the humidity down inside.

I have a humidifier in the same (small) room as my bator that I can turn on to increase the ambient humidity in the room. I just do this to supplement the water tray in the incubator so I'm not constantly pumping water into the bator and putting the temps all out of whack.

Just an idea.

Oh, and like JM said, totally normal for temps to drop at first. you are adding a lot of mass that the bator need to heat up.....that takes time. Are you using heat sinks of any kind? Jars of water perhaps? That would also limit the effect of the added mass.

Back
Top Bottom