1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CAN'T STAND OR WALK: HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BethMatt, Jun 25, 2016.

1. BethMatt

BethMatt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    Our one year old BR Just started acting funny yesterday, she can't stand for long, Falls over side to side & even front words into a somersault... I have checked her for any extra no injuries and nothing... I have given her an Epson salt bath no bumble foot, could anyone help me with what may be wrong with her??

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Does she appear listless or almost confused? It kind of sounds like going into shock. Has anything traumatic occurred? If it is shock, keep her warm and make sure she gets liquids. I had an 8 week-old chick go into shock after it toppled an empty water jug on itself. I wrapped her in a towel and kept her warm and hydrated. My mother (a nurse) kept an eye on her while I was at work and by the next morning she was fine. Good Luck!

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    It may also be a head injury. Is there anything she may have smacked her head on? Also, have her symptoms gotten progressively worse with time?

4. BethMatt

Apr 10, 2015

She is the same today, she did her best to roost last night but fell off during the night, I haven't taken her from the flock just yet, she still acts like she wants to eat and be normal, but then stops drops to the ground and her eyes go closed..... I don't know of anything that would be putting her into shock, they have a normal routine each day around 4 PM I let them out to free range for about an hour, then back in their run yard until dark. It looks like she either has broken both legs internally or has something going on neurologically. She is the same right now I wonder if I should separate her??

5. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    It may be an ear infection. Does she shake her head side to side a lot? It would explain the falling (dizziness) and wanting to close her eyes.

6. BethMatt

Apr 10, 2015

No she isn't shaking her head at all, her tail is still up also

7. chicklet78

chicklet78 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Mine did the exact same thing when they were getting sick, it usually meant that they were dieing. But, does it appear she's sick or anything?

8. BethMatt

Apr 10, 2015
    Other than the falling over no she still has good color and her comb & Wattles

9. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I'm leaning towards some brain damage. How long has she been like this?

I had a hen who suffered head trauma, and she was exactly like yours.

10. BethMatt

Apr 10, 2015

She's been this way for 3 days...this morning she got out of the coop okay, but now is just standing in place puffed up with her eyes shut, trying not to fall over [​IMG] I seperate her during the day Ina pop up pen right outside the run so she can still see & hear the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by