Can't tell if this is "scaly leg mites" or just dry legs/feet

motherhenfran

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
While I was outside earlier I noticed one of my girls has a missing scale from her foot/leg. It must have just come off because it was a little bloody. Her legs have been looking a little dry lately. I can't tell if she has mites (none of the 5 have ever had them) or just dry skin.

The floor of their coop is sand/dirt with generous amounts of DE added and mixed in every 6-8 weeks.

Please let me know what your opinions are--if it's mites I want to stop them ASAP!

Here's some pictures of all of their legs to show if the others have problems. The one with the missing scale will be last.

These last few are of the injured leg/foot. The dark spot on the leg that has the missing scale is dried poop. Not blood.

Last edited:
That really looks more like an injury of some kind.

If it were mites, the scales would be lifting, and you'd see white crust around them with some bleeding or redness.

MrsB

Thank goodness. I was hoping it was just an injury. I've sprayed her legs once every twelve hours with Vetericyn to clean out the wound and help it heal up. Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom