cant we get this right?????

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
we are trying to build our new pen. so far we are trying to build a 10 by 10 square. of course this is just the beginning it will be bigger. this is just our starting point. A square but we cant get past this because my SWEET hubby wants it square and it wont square up. all the boards are measured the same but we cant get it square. WHY??? can anyone help???

How are you laying the boards out and what are the board's length's? If all the boards are the same length and you're trying to lay them so that two of the boards are inside the other two boards, you're going to actually be adding the width of the two outside boards to the lengths of the inside boards, thus making your square a 10' X 10' 4" rectangle (assuming you're using 2X4s). Hope this helps some.
big_smile.png

Sorry for the confusion, when i was talking about the boards, I was referring to the 2X4s that you're using for the top and bottom. The only way I've ever been able to ensure that my posts are squared is definitely the long way. I would build a square out of 2X4s, mark where they meet, move my square, then put in my posts. Other than that, I dont have too much more experience. Hope this helps some.

put your 2x4 boards where you want them to be on the top and the bottom, and measure from opposite corners, each of these measurements should be the same, then your coop will be square. Do your measuring from either the inside or the outside of the 4x6

Last edited:
It sounds like the upright poles are either out of plumb or at different heights. Unless the ground is perfectly level you will have to cheat a little somewhere. First adjust the depth of the post holes to get the tops level (a string and level can help with this) then plumb them up with a level or plumb bob. The top rails should be very close to perfect if the distance between poles was correct when you made the holes. If you use a bottom rail you will have to adjust this to match the terrain. good luck with it. Don't go crazy with it. If its not a perfect square it will be fine still.

Back
Top Bottom