Capon growout journal - update Super Bowl Sunday

Could you find a link to a picture of one of those? And/or have any idea where to get one, how much it would cost? Some of these items are indeed really helpful, but awfully pricey!

Well yeah, I knew that.
tongue.png
I was hoping you could narrow the field a bit for me, please. When I do a search I get hundreds of options to choose from!

Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring. We're having a capon experiment of our own.

We like being somewhat independent and self sufficient. Add to that my father who can't eat much of the meat available at the store due to all the additives. We had been talking about getting Free Rangers in the spring, but then I started reading all this information about caponizing on here. I read it shortly after a very successful hatch of 17 hens and 11 roos. Well, we don't need any more roosters. We already have 2.

So here's the situation. These chickens are a mix of Black sexlink and Golden sexlink. Hatched from my birds. We've lost one so we're down to 10. They have now reached the ripe old age of 5 weeks and surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday - 6 weeks old (unless something comes up). We are newbies with only the pictures and information found on this site for guidance. We do have a vet friend but his business is with cows. So my husband is thinking that he would like to try it himself first. If it is a failure, we'll bring in the vet for some help. My husband has butchered chickens in the past so he's somewhat comfortable with this.

We purchased the list of supplies that was listed by Holly31 in another thread here ("How to caponize a rooster")
Skip the Nasco $45, it is not worth it even with the book, there is more useful data here.
Use a # 3 scalpel handle and # 15 blades; 3-0 absorbable if you are going to suture
Get a 4 inch blunt tip 3/2 Weitlaner retractor for the ribs.
Get a 7 inch sponge forceps, straight, serrated, rounded, to grasp, and twist the testicle, and remove it
Have a large pin or needle on hand if the air sac is not hit by the scalpel
Use bungee cords to hold the bird, not clothesline. I will be making a capon board with little C clamps to attach the small bungees to
Start on the bird's left side first, right side on the table
Use a Coleman headlamp for extra light (this takes some practice)

I was able to buy all of the tools on e-bay for around $30 which included shipping. I did buy a disposable scalpel by mistake, so I may have to purchase another one.

We intend to use super glue to close the incision, although its just the regular kind with no spray to make it glue faster, so maybe I'll buy that kind.

If anyone has any more knowledge to share we'd love to hear it!

At this point they have eaten through a bag of medicated starter and are now on unmedicated all natural starter (was able to get to the feed mill). I'm planning on feeding them flock raiser (again, unmedicated all natural from local feed mill). I'm not sure if I should switch to meat feed at some point? I'll figure that out as we go and as I read about others experiences on this site. I'm sure feed prices will also play into this.​

Hi Newbean,

Keep us all informed on what happens. This is such a neat thread, makes me want to try it.
Good luck to you!

Actually, good luck to everyone trying this. And thank you for keeping us updated!

Tracy

Last edited:
caf.gif
So interesting! Is there anyone around the Portland Or area doing this? I would love to help someone with experience.
Tamera

Newbean, I wish you success in the bean removal business!

I think it helps to withdraw food 36 hours before, and water 24 hours before surgery, so the intestines will shrink. Keep them confined in a dimly-lit place, so they'll be quiet & not miss their food & drink so much. They'll be happy to make up for it post-op.

I zip-tie their legs & their wings together, then lay them on a milk crate with a bungee threaded through the holes, and hook them to the ties. I also put one of my kids' socks over their heads.

My biggest challenge is illuminating the cavity and magnifying what's inside so I can see. It will help to have someone else to aim a strong light (like a thin Mag-light) into the birds. If you don't have good near vision, use magnifing goggles.

Study the photos on that thread to learn just where to cut, right in front of that last rib. Give the scalpel a strong poke straight down, then make your cut. There's a cavity there, you shouldn't be hitting lung. You may have to use a needle or knife to penetrate the cellophane-like membrane that covers the intestines & testicles.

Before I cut I pull the skin back towards the tail, so that afterwards the skin cut & muscle cut aren't aligned.

With practice you will learn to tell the difference between the testicles and loops of intestines. Look up next to the backbone, they should be a slightly different color, usually a creamy tan. I just grab the testicle with the forceps, clamp them, then rotate the forceps while gently pulling them out. This should stretch & snap the connecting vessel. I don't try to cut anything inside the cavity.

I just put a few drops of regular super glue on the lips of the cut skin. I didn't try to close the cut in the muscle. Just pinch the edges of the cut skin together, and place a few drops of glue along the edge. It's okay if it isn't completely closed. As long as they aren't going back in the dirt it should be all right.

I wish you success operating on such young birds. Their beans will be very small still. If you find it's really too difficult, leave the rest to do in another few weeks.

I am interested in this also but my problem is sexing. I am also seeking a more self sustaining life style and this year we hatched 15 chicks and only 3 turned out to be hens. There was a batch of phoenix and then americauna.... seems there was no way to tell they were boys. Can the surgery be done later? Or must it be done while they are very small?

The surgery can be done any time, but once they start crowing it is less 'effective' because they have already got the testosterone in their systems.

Also, the older they are, the more developed the blood supply to the testicles is, and the more bleeding they do during surgery.

There are several articles about age and caponizing, I just used Google to find them. I am planning to start surgeries next week, the McNuggets are 5 weeks old now and approaching the 1lb mark. One article I read said 3-5 weeks but a max of 8 weeks. One article said 1lb minimum.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom