Capon via implant????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by azahn, Feb 27, 2012.

1. azahn

azahn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    Does anyone know about implanting rooster chicks with a hormone pellet (estrogen), which would turn him into a capon, without having to physically remove the testes (yuck!).

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    soooo your saying you think injecting your future dinner with hormones sounds yummier???

3. azahn

azahn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    just wondering about it.

4. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    I would not consider using that method. You would have to maintain estrogen levels forever, when stopped the testosterone levels would then increase to normal levels. It would defeat my purpose of non medicating the food we are about to eat.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Are you extrapolating information from other species? Or have you learned something about hormone implants specifically intended for chickens?

There is a shot that goes directly into the testicles of sheep and bulls that destroys the testicle, but that isn't estrogen.

6. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    Personally if you are going to give my testicles a shot, I would rather you just cut them off and get it over with!

BIG double ouch!!!

[​IMG]

cheers
    Jerry

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

[​IMG]

8. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    In the 1960s it used to be done with an estrogenic drug called diethylstilbestrol (DES). A few years later they found that DES leaves estrogenic residues in the meat that can literally mess with a female's cycle or give a male unwanted and un-male side effects. (we're worried about the human here....not the chicken)

So, DES was outlawed and the only way to caponize a chicken safely is surgically.

2 people like this.
  9. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

partsrheavy is correct they outlawed those type of drugs or whatever you call them in the 50's or early 60's my dad's folks used them, I don't know if they had any problems personally from eating the meat but I remember hearing about they where a bit tiffed they had to switch to operating on the roosters after the "easy way" of injecting a pill into them for years.

10. azahn

azahn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    Thanks, folks. Yes, I did read specifically about this procedure for chickens... makes a roo a better dinner when they have been neutered. Living on a farm, I am not too squeamish, but it sounds too delicate a procedure since the 'parts' to be removed are internal. Apparently the chemical method was done away with for good reason - that may be why I couldn't find info on the web about implants. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by