Capon via implant????

azahn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Northeast Texas
Does anyone know about implanting rooster chicks with a hormone pellet (estrogen), which would turn him into a capon, without having to physically remove the testes (yuck!).

I would not consider using that method. You would have to maintain estrogen levels forever, when stopped the testosterone levels would then increase to normal levels. It would defeat my purpose of non medicating the food we are about to eat.

Are you extrapolating information from other species? Or have you learned something about hormone implants specifically intended for chickens?

There is a shot that goes directly into the testicles of sheep and bulls that destroys the testicle, but that isn't estrogen.

Are you extrapolating information from other species? Or have you learned something about hormone implants specifically intended for chickens?

There is a shot that goes directly into the testicles of sheep and bulls that destroys the testicle, but that isn't estrogen.

Personally if you are going to give my testicles a shot, I would rather you just cut them off and get it over with!

BIG double ouch!!!

ep.gif

cheers
Jerry

In the 1960s it used to be done with an estrogenic drug called diethylstilbestrol (DES). A few years later they found that DES leaves estrogenic residues in the meat that can literally mess with a female's cycle or give a male unwanted and un-male side effects. (we're worried about the human here....not the chicken)

So, DES was outlawed and the only way to caponize a chicken safely is surgically.

partsrheavy is correct they outlawed those type of drugs or whatever you call them in the 50's or early 60's my dad's folks used them, I don't know if they had any problems personally from eating the meat but I remember hearing about they where a bit tiffed they had to switch to operating on the roosters after the "easy way" of injecting a pill into them for years.

Thanks, folks. Yes, I did read specifically about this procedure for chickens... makes a roo a better dinner when they have been neutered. Living on a farm, I am not too squeamish, but it sounds too delicate a procedure since the 'parts' to be removed are internal. Apparently the chemical method was done away with for good reason - that may be why I couldn't find info on the web about implants. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom