Caponization

I had my husband suture up a gash on my chin after teaching him on a towel how to do it correctly. I didn't flinch either as this is not a painful procedure. Crazy Talk, what are your qualifications for stating that animals (all animals) perception of pain is very different because their brain structure is very different. I've taken courses in neuroanatomy. Have you? I have studied, observed and treated pain in animals for years. What experience are you basing your statements on. Obviously you can say what you want, believe what you want. I only wish for others to not be misguided into causing harm and inflicting unnecessary pain on animals they may love and care about.

How about field experience and observation? Does that count? I can tell you from experience that birds do not experience pain the same way mammals do.

Here's a quote from a paper that went over a bunch of studies and experiments:

" It appears that chickens are unable to process two emotions simultaneously. Chickens may suffer from chronic pain when they are undisturbed, but when disturbed or frightened, the pain ceases and the chicken can only attend to the fear (Gentle and Corr, 1995). "

Their brains are too small, and too simple (Hugely undeveloped prefrontal cortex) to feel the way we do. Analyzing pain is just not an evolutionary advantage for a small prey animal.

http://www.grandin.com/welfare/fear.pain.stress.html

Last edited:
Your quote is from 19 years ago. For something more recent check out the article "Brainy Bird" in Scientific American, February 2014.
Science doesn't stop working when it gets old.

I can't get to the full article, because it's behind a paywall. That being said, the synopsis talks about birds being able to dance, and do novel tricks - it doesn't mention the processing of pain at all. These are handled in different areas of the brain, so I'm not sure its relevant.

Post a quote.

Back
Top Bottom