Caponization

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Wolf-Kim, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Anyone here have any experience with caponization? Ever eat a capon? Have you yourself ever caponized? Please share any experiences!

Just another thing I was learning about and was hoping to get a few first hand experiences!

Thanks
    -Kim

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
  3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Caponizing is very rarely done anymore since the advent of the cornish X meat birds. It used to be done to get a large tender bird for the table. Since the cornish X fills that need, caponizing is not done very often.

Never the less, there are those who still do use the technique. Here's one website with good information:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Caponizing.html

4. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Okay. Thanks. I didn't even think of searching the threads, just because I thought it would be a less common subject.

Thank you!
    -Kim

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yeah, I've eaten them from speciality meat markets. But, there really is no point with the meat hybrids available to us. It seems like an unnecessary ordeal for the bird to experience, just to get a bird which is probably inferior to a modern broiler anyhow.

Lots of threads on this.

6. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Greyfields, did the capon you ate taste any different from the normal rooster?

-Kim

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Caponising is illegal where I come from!

8. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:No way...are you serious??????
    I would think it would be a decent thing to do w/excess roosters, but nothing I have ever done myself...

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Would it be necessary to capon a roo for the table anyway, or could you raise it on broiler feed to whatever age broilers are 'dressed'? (un-dressed??).

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Even if you caption, the bird lives though it, and you feed it high protein feed in a box, it can't reach the weights the meat birds reach. My baby meat birds have been gaining about an ounce a day for the past 8 days of their lives... they are now 12 days old... and 9 or so ounces each.

Captionizing is not quite like a dog or a cat, but is rather intensive. You have to get them just old enough but not too old and cut into their backs, pry apart some ribs and hope to find the goods and pull them out. Almost like trying to remove a human kidney in my mind. Never tried it before though and probably won't ever so maybe my mental analogy isn't quite right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by