Caponization

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Anyone here have any experience with caponization? Ever eat a capon? Have you yourself ever caponized? Please share any experiences!

Just another thing I was learning about and was hoping to get a few first hand experiences!

Thanks
-Kim

There are a lot of threads on this subject, here's a link to 1 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40782

Try using the search function using caponizing as the key word, lots of good reading out there.
smile.png

Okay. Thanks. I didn't even think of searching the threads, just because I thought it would be a less common subject.

Thank you!
-Kim

Yeah, I've eaten them from speciality meat markets. But, there really is no point with the meat hybrids available to us. It seems like an unnecessary ordeal for the bird to experience, just to get a bird which is probably inferior to a modern broiler anyhow.

Lots of threads on this.

Greyfields, did the capon you ate taste any different from the normal rooster?

-Kim

Quote:
No way...are you serious??????
I would think it would be a decent thing to do w/excess roosters, but nothing I have ever done myself...

Even if you caption, the bird lives though it, and you feed it high protein feed in a box, it can't reach the weights the meat birds reach. My baby meat birds have been gaining about an ounce a day for the past 8 days of their lives... they are now 12 days old... and 9 or so ounces each.

Captionizing is not quite like a dog or a cat, but is rather intensive. You have to get them just old enough but not too old and cut into their backs, pry apart some ribs and hope to find the goods and pull them out. Almost like trying to remove a human kidney in my mind. Never tried it before though and probably won't ever so maybe my mental analogy isn't quite right.

Back
Top Bottom