Caponizing a roo

Pics
yes...and i get plenty of flack from my friends. i was the person that said, “if we get any roosters we’ll eat them in three months”...but this guy is something else. i saw a post about chickens know their names and thought it was a bunch of “bull”...but this guy comes when i call him...but only me.

i picked up these chicks from the local hatchery within a couple hours of hatching. one thought i have...is that from early on i though he was a rooster. i bought 24 dominant coppers...my grandpa wanted brown eggs...plus they’re cheap and good for eggs or meat. however, my roo doesn’t look hybrid...he looks straight barred rock. thus, from early on i have always specifically held that one chicken and still do after 5 months. probably a combo of hatch, nature and nurture. i don’t hold the other 23 unless i am clipping feathers.
I’ll bet you ARE being teased somewhat, but most folk don't realize exactly what birds actually are, including chickens. Every single bird species on the planet today, from the songbirds to the hawks and the migratory ones are the only surviving lineage of the dinosaurs; taxonomically they are in the same suborder as the velociraptors and T Rex. They aren't simply related to the dinosaurs; they ARE the dinosaurs! And chickens and other birds are not stupid animals; we humans have a penchant for assuming that we are the only animals who can adeptly ‘think’ and ‘reason’...and that is sheer ignorance. From the first week that I had my little hen, I have watched her cognition and abilities. All I would have to do is tap on my forearm and say,”Come on!” For her to literally fly to my arm and perch! Of course, that was after she knew that she was safe and I wouldn't hurt her. I have always known of chicken’s taxonomic classification, and I had a sense of pure awe when studying the dinosaurs as a child. When I look at her, I see a direct link to life from our planet’s past...and you can also see the wildness in their eyes and the way they move. And recent studies in bird cognition have only enhanced their status as intelligent and aware beings. Who would have ever believed that I would end up having a bird as a pet! I have a question; have you and your family been around chickens very long? When a chicken gets sick, is it easy to tell they are sick? I know people don't take (usually) take production food animals to a vet...what do you do if they get sick? Are there any resources that would tell me what to do and where to get any items to treat common illnesses that a bird might get? No one is sick right now, but I just want to be ready...

I’ll bet you ARE being teased somewhat, but most folk don't realize exactly what birds actually are, including chickens. Every single bird species on the planet today, from the songbirds to the hawks and the migratory ones are the only surviving lineage of the dinosaurs; taxonomically they are in the same suborder as the velociraptors and T Rex. They aren't simply related to the dinosaurs; they ARE the dinosaurs! And chickens and other birds are not stupid animals; we humans have a penchant for assuming that we are the only animals who can adeptly ‘think’ and ‘reason’...and that is sheer ignorance. From the first week that I had my little hen, I have watched her cognition and abilities. All I would have to do is tap on my forearm and say,”Come on!” For her to literally fly to my arm and perch! Of course, that was after she knew that she was safe and I wouldn't hurt her. I have always known of chicken’s taxonomic classification, and I had a sense of pure awe when studying the dinosaurs as a child. When I look at her, I see a direct link to life from our planet’s past...and you can also see the wildness in their eyes and the way they move. And recent studies in bird cognition have only enhanced their status as intelligent and aware beings. Who would have ever believed that I would end up having a bird as a pet! I have a question; have you and your family been around chickens very long? When a chicken gets sick, is it easy to tell they are sick? I know people don't take (usually) take production food animals to a vet...what do you do if they get sick? Are there any resources that would tell me what to do and where to get any items to treat common illnesses that a bird might get? No one is sick right now, but I just want to be ready...
Right here on this sight is probwbly the most complete information on chicken illnesses and what to have on hand to treat them I'll go get a link to make getting started easier.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

also for emergencies and stuff you are having trouble diagnosing listing symptoms and a bunch of pictures will usually get you what I consider expert advice from the many wonderful folks on here.

here’s a pic of my buddy. unlike the rest...he will die of old age. i had intentions of eating any rooster we got but this guy picked me as his friend from about the first week. we have never kept a rooster but this one changed the plan. he knows he’s a pet.

Right here on this sight is probwbly the most complete information on chicken illnesses and what to have on hand to treat them I'll go get a link to make getting started easier.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

also for emergencies and stuff you are having trouble diagnosing listing symptoms and a bunch of pictures will usually get you what I consider expert advice from the many wonderful folks on here.
You are so nice! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom