Caponizing a roo

If you do it yourself make sure you hold back the food and water before attempting the surgery .
I have done basic medical procedures in the past...and never lost anything, BUT things like inserting gastric tubes and lactated ringers and such. I wouldn’t be qualified to do an intra-abdominal surgery and I wouldnt be able to use or access anesthesia either. I am only a wildlife rehabber, and my real employment isnt even in the field of medicine. I would be afraid to....

Also I will have to respectfully disagree with some people that animals don't care about their junk. We took a dog to get fixed and when he woke up, he was very concerned about his missing bits. We had to put a come on him because he wouldn't leave the area alone.
Was it 'missing his junk' or 'damn those stitches itch'! :gig

Some dogs lick that area before they lose junk and might be habit and the notable difference when they lick afterwards. It is behavior altering but Its not a conscious thought of oh no where'd it go!

Everything I have read says any kind of anestetic (knew I couldn't spell that. ) would be very very likely to kill a bird. Other than tubing food or medicine down the gullet I couldnt give IV fluids either And it was never mentioned in like 12 videos and articles I studied before attempting. A couple did mention you could tie it off before cutting it loose and greatly reduce bleeding several mentioned the bleeding but said it would stop. I decided I'd rather tie off before might be why my limited experience has been 100% survived and about 90% successful I also had medical adhesive available incase I had a air leak from the cavity since chickens have a like four part process to their breathing And involves their body cavities (why their but moves so much from breathing In two cases I felt I had too much air leakage and used the adhesive to close better that just stitches. By the time I attempted it I had spent many hours studying and had put together a pretty extensive avian "tool kit" It is not somthing to be taken lightly and I most certainly didnt. That said I"m building a rooster bachelors only coop and run since many roos are so noticeably pretty I wanted to keep more of them than the flock could tolerate. It is also a great way to find the real keepers for flock roos. I will still have to cull some and may or may not decide to do more capons in the future it does make a noticeably nicer bird for roasting or stew and soup. I wouldn't waste a good capon on fried chicken.

The more I interact with my flock the more I would be willing to (and do) accept that they are at least to some extent self aware and as importantly aware of each other as individuals not just part of the social organism of the flock. you will find inseperable duo's and trio's couples and teams. knowledge of whos the best protector ( they run to me if I'm out there and there is trouble (makes me feel all puffed up I wanna crow)) Who lies about the tid bits and who is reliable. Whos on watch whos not and who can't be trusted to watch. They are pretty amazing you might get that I like chickens :p

I personally would like a capon rooster

Why?

Capons do not mate with hens to fertilize eggs, and they do not grow the pretty rooster-specific feathers. So if you want an actual rooster but without the crowing, a capon does not work.

If you just want a nice pet chicken, it is MUCH easier and cheaper to get a hen.
If you want one that looks different than other chickens, it is still easier and cheaper to get a hen of a different or unusual breed.

Back
Top Bottom