Caponizing a roo

I still want to know why this person wants to canonize. That has not been mentioned.

If you're talking about the original poster of this thread, I think this is the answer:

I have a roo already, but I fell in love with the new one and don’t want to let him go. (Kinda embarrassing but... 😊) I may have found a vet that will do the procedure! She is looking into it now.

Also, autocorrect really likes to mess with discussions of caponizing :lau
canonize.

I keep chickens as pets. If I was in a situation where I wanted to rescue roosters but couldn’t keep them due to crowing, I wouldn’t caponize. The reason for me is that I haven’t ever had experience with a capon. Dogs and cats don’t change that dramatically when they’re fixed, and they’re quality of life is the same, and often better. This is because they will have a lower chance for reproductive health issues and won’t attempt to wander around and possibly get injured, lost, or killed. They are usually fixed so they don’t have offspring, which would be bad for those puppies/kittens because it would contribute to the overpopulation of stray animals and it might be extremely hard to find them a good home. It just isn’t right to me to caponize a rooster (as a pet) because it might dramatically change him and wouldn’t really be for his own good- it would be so someone could keep a non-crowing rooster.
I’m not against people caponizing their roosters, but that is why I wouldn’t do it myself.
The only way I would caponize a rooster would be after I’ve seen a capon and interacted with him for an extended period of time, as well as observed him in a mixed flock compared to a rooster who hadn’t been caponized. If the capon acted the same as the intact rooster (minus crowing) then I personally wouldn’t have a problem with caponizing a rooster if I had to (as long as the vet who did it had a lot of experience and the surgery was low risk). But, only after I had observed the capon for myself to see that the quality of life was the same.
@lightspeed I think you should consider sticking to rescuing hens for now. Or, if you really want to rescue a roo, you might want to research house chickens.
I agree with much of what you say...your comments and thought are compassionate and intelligent. Currently caponizing roosters seems to occur more often in European countries for the sole reason of making their ‘meat’ more tender...in other words, so they can be eaten. Individuals there and here who have kept their roosters as pets and caponized them, say their behavior is much more calm and friendly, and minus the loud crowing. For me to actually seek this procedure, I would have to unequivocally be certain of their being no negative complications that could cause the animal’s death; from what I hear, this procedure in invasive in this species and can only be done during a small window age wise. Hey, why do they call it caponizing’ anyway? Why not just say “neutered?”

Two different opinions. Why is it considered dangerous or could be fatal? So many other male animals are castrated. I have a rooster (really aggressive that Noone is safe. I don't want to get rid of him but life for the other chickens and ducks is stressful and ruins range time. I want so bad rather than separate him to have him castrated. Why do they need to come to my home/farm?
Apparently it is considered dangerous due to the possibility of bleeding out. That is why the procedure should only be done at a very early age.

Hey, why do they call it caponizing’ anyway? Why not just say “neutered?”

Because the animal becomes a capon.
People also talk of gelding a horse (makes him a gelding) or wethering a sheep or goat (makes him a wether).

Also, it's a more specific term. Neutering can refer to any animal, of either sex, and can include surgical methods or hormonal ones.

I can do it for you but you will have to send it to Ohio, my fee is you pay shipping to and from my fee is $ 250.00 per bird . Wouldn't it be easier to go buy a pre cleaned chicken ? Just joking :he
you’d pay $250 to castrate a cockerel? why? if i lived closer to you...i would do it for $245. What’s the intention of spending $250 on a $3 bird?

Back
Top Bottom