Caponizing a roo

The “intention” is to save the bird’s life by giving him a home as a pet. Is money all anyone ever thinks about?! Surely living creatures have worth. I understand that people must have food, but we cannot view the world’s worth only in the context of possible advantage to us all the time.

The “intention” is to save the bird’s life by giving him a home as a pet. Is money all anyone ever thinks about?! Surely living creatures have worth. I understand that people must have food, but we cannot view the world’s worth only in the context of possible advantage to us all the time.
I have a rooster as a pet. Out of 24 chicks I ended up with one cockerel and 23 pullets. It was pretty obvious early on and I had thought about giving him away or eating him...however, he was the tamest out of all of the birds and became my little buddy. He’s one of the only chickens in my flock that has a name and he’s definitely a pet. However, what’s the goal or advantage of caponizing a rooster that will be a pet? Temperament? It’s too late for me to caponize my rooster but just wanting to understand what the value would be? I understand why people do it for meat birds.

I have a rooster as a pet. Out of 24 chicks I ended up with one cockerel and 23 pullets. It was pretty obvious early on and I had thought about giving him away or eating him...however, he was the tamest out of all of the birds and became my little buddy. He’s one of the only chickens in my flock that has a name and he’s definitely a pet. However, what’s the goal or advantage of caponizing a rooster that will be a pet? Temperament? It’s too late for me to caponize my rooster but just wanting to understand what the value would be? I understand why people do it for meat birds.
The idea is they won't be aggressive, harass the hens or crow. Usually in town you can't keep a male because he crows, so if he doesn't crow....

You sound like a thoughtful, really good man! ❤️ When I initially considered neutering a rooster (I have since decided against the procedure), it was because the evidence seems to be that neutered roos dont crow and/or definitely dont crow as loud as would be the case if they were intact. The main reason more people dont rescue male chickens is because of statutes that prohibit keeping roosters in city limits due to them being so noisy...neighbors throw fits. About 4 months ago I was getting my dogs in from my yard (2AM mind you!) and putting them in their air conditioned kennels so I could go to work...when this creature screamed and flew over my fence! Turned out it was a young Mille Fleur banty hen who apparently escaped the vile animal hoarder down the street. I have grown to like this sweet bird and I have recently finished building her a coop and preparing a place for her. I will get her a couple of hens as companions and I want to be able to rescue a rooster too. I know I’m not a typical chicken person, but it would be really nice if the males could be rescued as pets too...and not just hens. I have always rescued and rehomed dogs and cats...and have been a licensed wildlife rehabber as well. Thank you for being kind to your little rooster! His life is assured since he has a place with you, and your story heartens me. I am going to get my little bird TWO HENS and a banty rooster....and HOPE he doesnt crow real loud, hahaha! 2020 has not been the best year....and I like ‘happy’ endings...

Carson 213, Here is her coop and it is surrounded by two 10X10 Priefert kennels and welded wire above and below. This has been the literally hardest thing I have ever attempted, but it has turned out fairly good. Guess Im a chicken ‘mom’ now!

Attachments

• 16441762-C04D-454A-AAB9-FE6B60FC3880.jpeg
    16441762-C04D-454A-AAB9-FE6B60FC3880.jpeg
    652.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 0C08F381-D98E-4311-B7DC-814D54CB6185.jpeg
    0C08F381-D98E-4311-B7DC-814D54CB6185.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 6
  • A83DB13D-6980-47DF-B43F-100044B46F52.jpeg
    A83DB13D-6980-47DF-B43F-100044B46F52.jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 6
  • 50CD0011-22CB-4558-991A-D6104E1A7C17.jpeg
    50CD0011-22CB-4558-991A-D6104E1A7C17.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 9
  • AA37E928-76B9-4918-9CDC-40DE262A4E8F.jpeg
    AA37E928-76B9-4918-9CDC-40DE262A4E8F.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice! I don’t live in city limits so a rooster crowing isn’t a problem. i actually had no idea they had ordinances about that. now that i have a rooster in the flock...i will always have one. while he does lay on his back in my arms to get his belly rubbed...if i catch a pullet outside the run and clip its feathers...”rooster” let’s me know he’s not happy with me. he’s the guardian protector

Nice! I don’t live in city limits so a rooster crowing isn’t a problem. i actually had no idea they had ordinances about that. now that i have a rooster in the flock...i will always have one. while he does lay on his back in my arms to get his belly rubbed...if i catch a pullet outside the run and clip its feathers...”rooster” let’s me know he’s not happy with me. he’s the guardian protector
He lays on his back in your arms?! How endearing; I am seeing so many neat things about these little chickens! You have the sweetest boy!

yes...and i get plenty of flack from my friends. i was the person that said, “if we get any roosters we’ll eat them in three months”...but this guy is something else. i saw a post about chickens know their names and thought it was a bunch of “bull”...but this guy comes when i call him...but only me.

i picked up these chicks from the local hatchery within a couple hours of hatching. one thought i have...is that from early on i though he was a rooster. i bought 24 dominant coppers...my grandpa wanted brown eggs...plus they’re cheap and good for eggs or meat. however, my roo doesn’t look hybrid...he looks straight barred rock. thus, from early on i have always specifically held that one chicken and still do after 5 months. probably a combo of hatch, nature and nurture. i don’t hold the other 23 unless i am clipping feathers.

Back
Top Bottom