capons?

mamainthewoods

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Hi Folks
Does anyone raise capons anymore? I am interested in buying capons (castrated roosters) to raise and butcher, but I really don't want to do the job myself. The only place I have seen them for sale is MT-DI poultry in PA. They only ship them 100 miles and it would be quite a drive for me to go there.
My in-laws used to buy and raise capons, and I remember them being HUGE and incredibly meaty and juicy. That was back about 20 years ago and it seems they have become hard to find.
I have 7 children and I would love to be able to raise a chicken that could actually feed the whole family without having to cook several at a time.

Any thoughts?

Brenda

CoopCrazy

Brooder Boss
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Columbus,IN
I have been lookign as well... I did find a few at the Jayc store around christmas... Maybe see if you can find an ole timer in your area that would do your birds for a flat fee.. You ma try posting a wanted ad on Craigslsit as well

rhoda_bruce

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Cut Off, LA
It does seem to be a dying art. I hatched out 4 dozen chicks which will be 3 weeks old on the 10th. I plan on caponizing them. I'm not sure if I will do it around the 10th, or if I will raise them as roosters and preform the surgery on them dead to gain experience.
I have looked just about everywhere I could locally to find someone to teach me the surgery......vets, 4H leaders, LA co-operative services, universities.....anything; and I came up with nothing. So I'm on my own. I would suggest you do the same. It is possible you can find someone in your area that knows how to do the surgery. If you do, all you need is a bunch of cockerals.
If you come up with nothing, you might reconsider learning it. I would just learn the surgery on a dead animal if you are afraid of a complication or are uncertain about the anatomy.

Sharon Frady

Hatching
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Rhonda,

Did you caponize your roos. Just wondering how it went. I've looked all over for someone to teach me to no avail. Decided that I'll just have to jump in w/ both feet and do best I can. Win/lose lessons learned.
smile.png
smile.png

Top Bottom