Carbon monoxide detectors - question

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
We have a plug-in type of carbon monoxide detector. I bought it two or three years ago and can't find the instruction manual that came with it.
My question is, do they need to be replaced every so often or are they fine as long as the test alarm functions properly?

ten years, if I remember correctly for smoke detectors. Don't know for co detectors, couldn't be that different?

I didn't think the plug-in type needed to be replaced because they don't use batteries.
hu.gif
Or does yours have a back-up battery incase of power outages?

I know here you can take it to the local fire station and they will gladly check it for you

aside from a vacuum once a month and test every 6 months i think they are fine, but call the local fire dept see if they test them

Quote:
Thanks. I'll have my DH ask one of the firefighters. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Testing A Carbon Monoxide Detector

Most CO detectors have a test button that should be pressed once a week to confirm that the device is in operation. Detectors with displays can be tested with a known source of CO such as smoke from a cigarette or incense stick. Hold the CO source about 8-10 inches away and watch the digital display respond to the presence of even a small amount of CO. BUT an alarm will most likely not sound with this test.

There are CO detector test kits available, where CO detectors are sold, that provide a vial of high level of CO (1000 ppm) and a plastic tent to house the unit during the test. This test only proves that your detector will sound an alarm with a very high level of CO.

this is what i just found on a government of canada website

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/yohoyohe/inaiqu/inaiqu_002.cfm

Back
Top Bottom