Cardboard Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigfooteMFOEGBtyChik.JPEG

Is Corn's toe like this (the toe on the far right) or is it the nails at the end of the toe that is overgrown?

If you let us know where you are, then there are people all over the US (and several other countries) and I'm sure we'd be able to find Corn a lovely home with lots of space and friends. The vast majority of people here keep their chickens as pets, so Corn can live out it's life peacefully too.

His toe is something like that. How long should chicken nails be?

Last edited:
If you let us know where you are, then there are people all over the US (and several other countries) and I'm sure we'd be able to find Corn a lovely home with lots of space and friends. The vast majority of people here keep their chickens as pets, so Corn can live out it's life peacefully too.

I agree. The correct length of the toenail should be the least of your worries.
Please show this thread to your parents and let them know there are people here who want to help give your chick a better life if they can't help you. There is a life in your hands. Please do the right thing.​

Quote:
There is not a lot you can do now, but that is called a crooked toe. It means Corn cannot be used for showing. It may have hatched out like that, at which point it could have been corrected, or it may have happened due to a deficiency. Either way, there's nothing you can do about it now and, as Terrie said, it's the least of your worries.

I think Corn is getting a little better. I think bringing him in from the cold was a MUCH better thing to do from him. He eats more, and is getting more energetic. I'm trying to tell my mom about the feed stores, and about going there tomorrow when we go to Pets Mart for hamster supplies. But can Corn be able to live only by himself? I mean, if we take him out and play with him more often, could that help? Do you think my neighbors would take Corn if we built him a backyard coop? Probably not, but do you think? I really do not want to give him away. And would hamster hay subsitute the real chicken shavings for now? I'm gonna try to get that too. And how do you teach chickens to take dust bathes? Do they know them selves? Do you just dig him a whole in the backyard for him? Do you think Corn likes to be around dead grass? It's winter right now, and everyones grass seems to be brown/yellow and dead. It's sorta hard and prikly too. In the yellow pages, what should I look up to find supplies for Corn?

I'm glad you brought him in from the cold. If you give a a coop in your own backyard the neighbors can't take him away from you. You can get any animal shavings as long as its NOT CEDAR. He will take care of dust baths himself and even if the graa is dead he will appreciate having something to scratch around in.

Sometimes our neighbors cats come into our yard. And I'm afraid if we give him a backyard coop, the cats will each come and try to like stick their paws into the coop and try to get Corn out! How do I make it preditor proof? Can you show me a picture or diagram of a good chicken coop for only one, or maybe two, chickens? 0:) I'm still going to have a card board box to bring him in at nights too, and in that box, should I put just shavings, or shavings + newspaper?

corn mit eat the shavings..so be careful what you buy.

as for predator proofing..umm theres alot of thread on it:p

goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom