Caring for a brooding wild duck?

gingaskunk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Hey guys and gals,

I did a search here but didn't turn anything up but hope you can help.

Our house backs on to a small lake and we discovered last week that a duck has been laying eggs in our garden (5 when we found it, 15 as of tonight), and we are very excited!

The eggs are under some bushes RIGHT next to our back door (within about 3 feet of the door).

We have seen the Momma duck come up from the lake a couple of times to lay, which was wonderful to watch.

So, based on what I have read it seems that with 15 eggs she should begin to brood soon.

When she does, I have read that she will go into kind of a "trance" and won't get off her nest unless she feels truly threatened, is this true? We plan to go into the yard through that door as little as possible for the month or so she will be breeding, but it seems like, as long as we don't do it often, we might still be able to use the door, thoughts?

The other question I have is in regards to care. From reading these forums I understand that she will pretty much take of herself and will leave the nest each day to go drink and feed. I also understand that it is important that she does go to the lake, so she gets wet as this moisture helps the eggs... so, is there anything we can do for her? I would be happy to buy some food or whatever might help, but don't want make things worse than they would be if I just left alone...

Any thoughts or advice would be more than welcome.

Thank you!

I know that wild mama ducks will wait until the last minute before abandoning their eggs, sometimes. And, I also know they will not return to their nest of they feel there is too many disturbances or threats in the area. So, all I can suggest is not to do an excessive amount of activity near the nest too often, if possible.

She will pretty much take care of herself. You can also help by minimizing anything that would attract predators. This might mean not leaving food around, iincluding dog or cat food or trash cans. And, it would be wise not to let pets get too close to her nest. It will also be good to minimize your scent near the nest, too.

I raised hundreds of mallards years ago, so I'll ttyl you what I feel you should do.
I agree with the other posters, first. Stay away from the best yourself. Keep any pets away. Mama duck should start incubating soon, but they can have from 12 to 20 eggs. After she starts during full time I seem to recall it took 20 days, but it could be more, for the hatching to start. Dont worry about her. Just stay away, dont frighten her. And dont mess with the nest. During hatching some may feel compelled to watch or help. Don't do that. She will be incredibly protective. She will dive bomb you or cats by her flying around. As long as she has water close by and did shes fine. Good luck!:)

I apologize for the spelling errors...I'm on my phone....
welcome-byc.gif

Hey guys and gals,

I did a search here but didn't turn anything up but hope you can help.

Our house backs on to a small lake and we discovered last week that a duck has been laying eggs in our garden (5 when we found it, 15 as of tonight), and we are very excited!

The eggs are under some bushes RIGHT next to our back door (within about 3 feet of the door).

We have seen the Momma duck come up from the lake a couple of times to lay, which was wonderful to watch.

So, based on what I have read it seems that with 15 eggs she should begin to brood soon.

When she does, I have read that she will go into kind of a "trance" and won't get off her nest unless she feels truly threatened, is this true? We plan to go into the yard through that door as little as possible for the month or so she will be breeding, but it seems like, as long as we don't do it often, we might still be able to use the door, thoughts?

The other question I have is in regards to care. From reading these forums I understand that she will pretty much take of herself and will leave the nest each day to go drink and feed. I also understand that it is important that she does go to the lake, so she gets wet as this moisture helps the eggs... so, is there anything we can do for her? I would be happy to buy some food or whatever might help, but don't want make things worse than they would be if I just left alone...

Any thoughts or advice would be more than welcome.

Thank you!
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like your in for an adventure.. enjoy.

Thank you for your replies! We don't have pets and there aren't really a lot of other animals around as we are in a suburban neighborhood, so I think that as long as I simply avoid going out there as much as possible and only use the side entrance when I do (which is proabably 12-15 feet from the nest), that is the best thing.

We stood in the lounge of our house again this morning, watching her come up the garden, little by little, stopping every few steps to look around, then dahs behind the bush when she got close.

Thanks again, we are very excited!

Thank you for your replies! We don't have pets and there aren't really a lot of other animals around as we are in a suburban neighborhood, so I think that as long as I simply avoid going out there as much as possible and only use the side entrance when I do (which is proabably 12-15 feet from the nest), that is the best thing.

We stood in the lounge of our house again this morning, watching her come up the garden, little by little, stopping every few steps to look around, then dahs behind the bush when she got close.

Thanks again, we are very excited!
Please keep us updated on all the happening!
caf.gif

Here is the latest picture, taken last night, of the clutch so far. I didn't post because I figured a picture of duck eggs would be boring to a group of people who see them all the time

:)

Back
Top Bottom