Caring for a brooding wild duck?

But, why is there 32 eggs in the morning, then back to 15 in the afternoon?
I must have read this wrong, i didn't see that there are 32 eggs in the morning and only 15 in the afternoon. I'll have to go read again.
old.gif

I think probably another Mallard must be laying in her nest maybe even sharing nest duties, If they are going to get serious about hatching these eggs they should get down to business soon, But i know with my own ducks[ Muscovy] They will start their clutch sit on them at night and not during the day till they feel they have enough and even when they brood they are off the nest alot more than I would think they should be ,but They do manage to hatch out ducklings so they know more than me. But being these are wild ducks I wouldn't mess with them, either they will brood or they won't. Hopefully they will.
big_smile.png
Just seems so late in the year for ducklings, I guess in Tx. and other parts of the south birds brood yr round?

Oh, OK, I thought there were 15, then 32 and then 15 again within a few hours. I guess I read it wrong.

Sorry, I guess just another indicator of why I haven't yet cinched the Pulitzer....

There was one egg a day laid until we counted 15. Then the momma stopped laying (or coming to the nest at all) for a few days. Then she appeared to be brooding for a few hours each day for a couple of weeks, so we didn't go near the nest. We went out to check on the nest after all this and found 32 eggs. Better? :)

I think probably another Mallard must be laying in her nest maybe even sharing nest duties, If they are going to get serious about hatching these eggs they should get down to business soon, But i know with my own ducks[ Muscovy] They will start their clutch sit on them at night and not during the day till they feel they have enough and even when they brood they are off the nest alot more than I would think they should be ,but They do manage to hatch out ducklings so they know more than me. But being these are wild ducks I wouldn't mess with them, either they will brood or they won't. Hopefully they will.
big_smile.png
Just seems so late in the year for ducklings, I guess in Tx. and other parts of the south birds brood yr round?

Okay, thanks for the advice. My wife is all gung-ho about bringing them in and putting them in incubation but I think we need ot leave them there for now.

Here in Houston the temps in spring are very similar to thos in fall, but thye only last for about 6-8 weeks. The temperatures have dropped ot fall/spring-like so I assume that triggered the laying.....

If they were laid by a domestic duck I'd say go for it, but this is a wild mallard who will probably abandon the nest and what would you do with the ducklings? Couldn't just go sit them out by the water when first hatched or even when they get all feathered in, because they will be dependent on you now. Just best to let nature run it's own course. Of course we can only advise it's ultimately up to you what you do. I know it's hard not to interfere but just wouldn't be a good idea.

Hey guys and gals,

I have an udate and another question for you.

So the duck stopped laying (as mentioned previously there were >30 eggs so I assume it was more than 1 duck), but no one came up to sit on the eggs.

A couple of weeks ago I went out there and the eggs stank really bad, so I assumed nothing was happening with them and threw them away.

We went out in the yard this morning and went to show a house guest where the nest had been, and found 4 new eggs there!

While this is good news it does lead me to a question.... is there a way to tell if they are fertilized?

I have googled some and come up with candling, but it seems like you can't do this until the eggs are 7-10 days old, is this true? If so would they be too old to eat then?

I do enjoy duck eggs but not so much balut! Obviously if there is a chance ot baby ducks I would rather leave them be, but if they are going to go to waste as unfertilized they fry up wonderfully!

Actually having said that, I know nothing about this, are the duck eggs good to eat only from certain types of duck, or are they all pretty much the same?

Any thoughts or input would be welcome.

Thank you!

Hey guys and gals,

I have an udate and another question for you.

So the duck stopped laying (as mentioned previously there were >30 eggs so I assume it was more than 1 duck), but no one came up to sit on the eggs.

A couple of weeks ago I went out there and the eggs stank really bad, so I assumed nothing was happening with them and threw them away.

We went out in the yard this morning and went to show a house guest where the nest had been, and found 4 new eggs there!

While this is good news it does lead me to a question.... is there a way to tell if they are fertilized?

I have googled some and come up with candling, but it seems like you can't do this until the eggs are 7-10 days old, is this true? If so would they be too old to eat then?

I do enjoy duck eggs but not so much balut! Obviously if there is a chance ot baby ducks I would rather leave them be, but if they are going to go to waste as unfertilized they fry up wonderfully!

Actually having said that, I know nothing about this, are the duck eggs good to eat only from certain types of duck, or are they all pretty much the same?

Any thoughts or input would be welcome.

Thank you!
Heres a link that will show you what to look for but you'll have to crack one open to tell. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/726027/egg-question

Thank you for this.

Are wild ducks eggs good to eat (is there any difference between those and domestic ducks)?

Also, is it safe to assume that if one egg is/is not fertilized that the rest of the batch will / will not be too?

Back
Top Bottom