Caring for hatchlings

Sarah4

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
I'm new to this and just hatched a call duck last night. His 3 brothers seem to be content halfway in their shells sleeping for the past 16 hours. Little "goose" as we are calling him is still not dried out all the way only his underside is fluffed. How much longer can he stay in the incubator, he's been in there since last night around 8 when he hatched. Also he seems lonely. When should I offer food and water to him?? Please help I already am in love with him!

I'm new to this and just hatched a call duck last night. His 3 brothers seem to be content halfway in their shells sleeping for the past 16 hours. Little "goose" as we are calling him is still not dried out all the way only his underside is fluffed. How much longer can he stay in the incubator, he's been in there since last night around 8 when he hatched. Also he seems lonely. When should I offer food and water to him?? Please help I already am in love with him!
They can survive on the yolk for up to 3 days. So he is fine in there for now. As for the others, ducks seem to rest a lot more than chicks do. They tend to take longer hatching. I usually don't like to leave mine for over 24 hours, but that is personal choice. If there are others in there in the process of hatching right now, you really don't want to open the incubator and risk shrink wrapping them unless it is an emergency. You'll offer food and water to them when you place them in the brooder (which you should have warmed up and ready for them).

Back
Top Bottom