Carnation comb genetics

Chikyboy

Bantam Cochin Collector
Oct 14, 2021
Nebraska
I had a polish mix rooster, and he had a v-comb. I don't know what the other half of him was, but I'm pretty sure it was something single combed. I crossed him with a single combed hen, and I got what I think is a carnation comb. I don't have pics, I will try to get them within the next few days. Is this possible?

Crossing a v-comb chicken with a single comb chicken can give some odd-looking combs.

I do not know the specific genetics of carnation comb, but I do not think it is caused by the duplex comb gene (which is what causes the V comb in Polish.)

Here is a thread with photos of a v-comb x single comb chicken:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...it-polish-leghorn-cross.890333/#post-13549718
The one in that thread looks rather like a buttercup comb.

It is probably not a true carnation comb.

V combs are the caused by two copies of the duplex gene without rose or pea present. A single copy of duplex on either a single or pea comb can look very similar to a carnation comb. A single copy of duplex can separate the majority of the comb in two and create a buttercup looking comb or only split the rear of the comb like your bird, and there are many additional phenotypes as well. A true carnation comb (as in Penedesencas) is caused by an unnamed comb modifier. The same modifier on a pea comb inverts the rear of the comb, and I believe is also the same one that causes the trifid rose combs in Silkies. The inheritance of the carnation modifier is complex and (as far as I know) not well understood.

Here is an inverted pea comb, caused by the same modifier as the carnation
invertedpeacomb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom